What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone taken apart a Crow Kam Lock?

jcarne

Well Known Member
Patron
I have the need to clean my kam lock on my Crow harness. Has anyone ever done this? Looks like their website is under construction right now so I don't know if they do or don't recommend this. If I undue the screws on the back I'm wondering if I am going to be met with shooting springs. Thanks in advance!

I went through this. I ended up talking to the head Kam Lock guy at Crow. He advised compressed air, and strongly advised against taking one apart (shooting springs). I'm not particularly afraid of shooting springs, but blowing it out seemed more prudent as a place to start.

On the back of my older-style Kam Lock, there's a little pinhole adjacent to the connector of the belt that is attached (usually the outboard belt - different left from right). If you push it in with a paper clip or a pick or something, you can detach the Kam Lock and take it over to the bench to clean it. I blew both of mine out with compressed air, then blasted the innards with CRC electronics cleaner from every possible orifice, then a little touch of some silicone spray. Then blew it out again. That made a big difference.

I'm not crazy about that style Kam Lock, it looks like I can order the new style by itself from Crow. I might do that, although all the belts are now working acceptably.

I went through this. I ended up talking to the head Kam Lock guy at Crow. He advised compressed air, and strongly advised against taking one apart (shooting springs). I'm not particularly afraid of shooting springs, but blowing it out seemed more prudent as a place to start.

On the back of my older-style Kam Lock, there's a little pinhole adjacent to the connector of the belt that is attached (usually the outboard belt - different left from right). If you push it in with a paper clip or a pick or something, you can detach the Kam Lock and take it over to the bench to clean it. I blew both of mine out with compressed air, then blasted the innards with CRC electronics cleaner from every possible orifice, then a little touch of some silicone spray. Then blew it out again. That made a big difference.

I'm not crazy about that style Kam Lock, it looks like I can order the new style by itself from Crow. I might do that, although all the belts are now working acceptably.

Roger that Mac. I figured there might be flying Christmas presents inside...

I have it soaking in water/soap right now and will blow it out with compressed air as you mention followed up by all the good chemicals to ensure the water is out. Thanks for your help!

Worst case scenario I have to replace that one belt and kamlock but I think my chances are good of cleaning it.

Back