What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How Know Which Mag Wire Connect To Which Cylinder

PhatRV

Well Known Member
I have a Slick magneto with impulse coupler on the left side of the engine. How can I know which wire goes to which cylinder? From what I can find this is what I "think" the sparkplug wiring should be. However, is there a way to find out with certainty which wire goes to which cylinder from looking at the magneto?

I've search the Champion website and could not find the documentation other than the sales brochures. The picture is from Lycoming M1A engine. However, various Lycoming docs only show a doodle of the wiring but do not explain how to know which wire goes where.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 221
+1. On standard harnesses the cylinder/plug is stamped on the nut.
Starting at your red ‘1’ and moving to lower right (counterclockwise) the order is 1T - 3T - 2B - 4B where the T is top and the B is bottom plug.
For the other mag start at upper right, move counterclockwise, order is 1B-3B-2T-4T.
Be sure to check the timing prior to engine start.

Thanks for the replies. I have to check the nut again, maybe it was the low light in the garage at night that I missed these details. Regarding the Lycoming manual, I have the same PDF files but they don't show the wiring number in the illustration.

Thanks for the replies. I have to check the nut again, maybe it was the low light in the garage at night that I missed these details. Regarding the Lycoming manual, I have the same PDF files but they don't show the wiring number in the illustration.

You just have to find the right manual. I found it online.

Back