What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

James cowl

dan carley

Well Known Member
I have a James cowl on my Rv6 (I bought it this way)
But do not have the plenum installed. All the baffling is tight
But the 0-360 seems to be running hot. Would it help if I put the plenum
On?

Danny carley

Maybe, but there are a lot of possible leak sources that could help with what you have. Post some pictures and you will get a lot of better informed responses.

Some data on your flight conditions and CHT and oil temp will be a good start to convey what "too hot" means in terms of numbers. Airspeed, ambient, throttle, mixture, oil, cut, climb etc would be ideal parameters but what ever you have is a good place to start. After all, installing a plenum will be $$$ and Hrs, so let's make sure it is well invested.

What Bill said.

A "plenum" is just an enclosed air space. What we call a plenum in our little world is actually a lid to close the roof of said space, for the sole purpose of eliminating flap seal leakage. It has no other purpose. Really good flap seals are not going to be as leak free as a really good plenum lid...but not every lid is good, and some flap seals are excellent.

Point is, you already have a plenum. You merely need to seal its perimeter....along with all the other potential leaks.

Let's see some photos.

Plenum

To give you a idea
On a hard climb cht can go
To 425 degrees
And cruise at2450 cht around 375-390
Egt cruise app 1375

Is this normal
Danny carley

Back