What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Unusual Places to build....

FlyGuy65

Well Known Member
Other than a hangar or garage, where are some of the more unusual places to build?

I have been building in my garage, but family situation may cause that to stop. Planned community, so not a lot of odd buildings around that might rent space. Airport too far away. Just looking for ideas so I can continue the build.

Thanks!

I briefly considered renting space from a used auto dealer down the street. Turned out they were also dealing Cocaine so, good thing I didn't do that. But the point is, if there are businesses nearby who might have that kind of space maybe ask them?

I always thought one of those light industrial type units with an office in front and a big rollup door in back would be ideal for airplane building. It might even be relatively affordable if shared with a business or another builder or two.

I met a guy once that said he built an RV6A in a one bedroom apt. I was skeptical until he pulled out his iPad and showed me pictures. True story.

I would be way more happy building one in my apartment than away from home. I see all kinds of RVs started in hangers that never seem to get finished.

Not a complete airplane…. But I built my ailerons and flaps while training to be a C-17 Aircraft Commander at Altus AFB. I did most of it in my VOQ room and used both the auto and wood hobby shops. The Class Six store was conveniently nearby for a post building refreshment!

A 20' sea container has been used in the past, with a second one for parts storage.

Farm outbuildings are useful for building.

Empty space that's not necessarily on the ground floor. There was a famous group of builders who constructed several identical HP-11 gliders in workshop space located above the medical practice of one of the group members.

Legendary Vlad

Other than a hangar or garage, where are some of the more unusual places to build?

Didn't the legendary Vlad (here on VAF) build in an apartment with a single hacksaw blade, a file, and a hammer?

I also recall seeing pictures here from someone else of a door frame from an apartment removed while a 6, or 7 fuese was birthed.

Cheers!
Mike

I knew a fella who built a Long EZe in the upstairs hallway of frame house, and took it out via the roof of the front porch. Distant cousin, Ms. Patti's family.
Some the CA central valley guys may have known him, Wally Loewen.

If Wally could build a glass airplane there, we can build a RV anywhere.

Attachments

• 2016_09_1024x768.jpg
    2016_09_1024x768.jpg
    659.8 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Older members here will remember when Martin & Claudia Sutter ripped out the carpet and built their RV-6 in the air conditioned comfort of their living room.

Vlad

Vlad started out in a Manhattan apartment, when it got too big he moved to a rented garage on the NJ side.

A good friend of mine built an -8 in his small living room. Pulled the carpet, installed vinyl. Cut in a nice French door to get it out and then put carpet back and added a porch. He had it on the gear with engine mount and even installed the tail feathers (then removed) prior to moving it out.

I have built in a basement, one car garage, sea can and bonus room above garage. Now I am suffering in a 40x60 air conditioned barn with concrete floor and over abundance of LED lighting. 😁

I have been building in my garage, but family situation may cause that to stop. Planned community, so not a lot of odd buildings around that might rent space. Airport too far away. Just looking for ideas so I can continue the build.

Thanks!

Any way you can sort the family situation out so you can keep building?
Is there a way to do shared space in the garage? i.e. better utilization for a vehicle to be parked inside part of the time, but moved out for aircraft work?

Pending the housing development rules, I would entertain the idea of an enclosed tandem axle trailer. Add a RV outlet so you can get power into it, then add some inside outlets for the air compressor, lights, etc. While a container would be fast for space, I would imagine there are restrictions on that and it's not best looking in a neighborhood. Plus, the enclosed trailer is movable with a light truck (pick-up).

Otherwise, a prebuilt shed in the side yard or back yard, if development allows (pesky permits).

In general, the closer and more accessible your work area, the more productive you will be.

The wider scope idea would be buy another property, rent part of it out, and use the garage/shop space for you. Investment property.

Where there is a will, there is a way! Best of luck

Maybe a neighbor can rent their garage.

An RV-3B was started in an apartment, but then moved out. I don't know how far he got.

I built the better part of two airplanes, a Fly-Baby and a BD-5 in two separate barns, back when I was in my 20s. The -5 was a job while I was in college. About all I can saw about that environment is that it was survivable. Awfully difficult. Even at that, it's best if the barn was unused for a few years beforehand so most of the smells dry up.

Dave

Maybe a neighbor can rent their garage.

An RV-3B was started in an apartment, but then moved out. I don't know how far he got.

I built the better part of two airplanes, a Fly-Baby and a BD-5 in two separate barns, back when I was in my 20s. The -5 was a job while I was in college. About all I can saw about that environment is that it was survivable. Awfully difficult. Even at that, it's best if the barn was unused for a few years beforehand so most of the smells dry up.

Dave

A BD-5, impressive!

Pending the housing development rules, I would entertain the idea of an enclosed tandem axle trailer. Add a RV outlet so you can get power into it, then add some inside outlets for the air compressor, lights, etc. While a container would be fast for space, I would imagine there are restrictions on that and it's not best looking in a neighborhood. Plus, the enclosed trailer is movable with a light truck (pick-up).

An intriguing idea…..which leads to the question of “how about the Walter White thing?” Find an old beat up motorhome that runs, gut the interior, turn it into a mobile workshop, and park it wherever you want to work on stuff! If you’re going to be driving rivets - go where no one else is going to be and make as much noise as you want!

But leave the chemistry to Heisenberg…. ;)

Me too

In my younger days (1971), I built a Cassut 3M wing in my living room. We moved the couch and TV to an unused bedroom.

I put plastic sheet on the floor to catch any glue drippings and had a wonderfully cooperative wife…(a must have) or the building would have been in a dirt floor garage. Where there’s a will, there’s a way….👍

Regards,

Back