What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear Bent Sticks Available

8MikeXray

Well Known Member
No more front sticks available 12/10/23

Anyone interested in rear bent sticks for the RV8? 2.125 offset
Below are the prototype’s, 4 sticks available HREW steel $80 each plus shipping. Please send PM.

If there’s enough interest and I can get at least 10 pre orders I will do a production run made out of 4130. $130 each plus shipping

Also I am considering manufacturing 4130 bent front sticks as well. Let me know if anyone is interested in a high-quality bent front stick.

In the past I was bending stock van front sticks. This is no longer feasible as the wall thickness is too thin to get a high-quality bend. I have found that .049 is the thinnest wall I can use to get a perfect bend.

Please be patient with me as I’m doing this on the side and do not check my VAF page daily.

UPDATE ON BENT FRONT STICKS

The sticks are made from 4130 chrome moly aircraft tubing, the same material that Van’s uses for their sticks. The only difference is the need to use a thicker wall tubing in order to perform the bend without kinking the tube. This adds a few ounces of weight to the stick assembly.

The tubes are bent using an industrial hydraulic tubing bender with a custom die and fixtures. Then the pivot hole is bored using a dimensional fixture. The 1/2” pivot tube and the pushrod attach bracket are then professionally TIG welded to the tube. Finally the 3/16 hole for the push rod connection and pivot are bored and reamed to final size.

The stick will come to you bare 4130 and after you cut and fit your grip you can finish it in the product of your choice.

From the center of the pivot point to the beginning of the lower bend is aprox 5 inches which is the top edge of the seat cushion.

Bend offset is approximately 3”.

The quality and strength of my sticks (.058) are far superior to stock sticks (.040)

Bent front and rear sticks are available

CC5A9424-FCFB-48EF-8915-ED4136C4A74B.jpg

A67F6DE2-2DF0-4BD2-83B9-6D4BF16235E2.jpg

E198AF27-D54C-490E-88DD-152D43395375.jpg

9C52113D-5207-4A5F-A083-C972CEE01B25.jpg

Last edited:
Four rear sticks available. No more front sticks.

Thanks

Would this work with tosten grips? I am converting from wood grips. The wood grip rubs the back of the seat when I’m sitting in it. I’m worried about how the offset will get in the way of a passenger. Specifically me since I want to do my CFI check in the back seat of my 8. I’m not fat but it’s already cramped for someone that’s 5 11 and 200

Interested in one of each. Planning on another run??? Thanks for doing this…

Works great with the tosten grip, see picture in first post.
My tosten grip has 1/2” clearance with seat back at full down deflection.

Sticks

Compatibility with Infinity Grips ?? YES...If you make another batch...I will take one of each.

Are you able to make different amounts of offset, or do you have just one set of dies that produces just one offset?

The 3 inch offset on the front sticks was the smallest radius I was able to bend the 1” tubing without kinking. Any more than a 3 inch offset and the stick would hit your belly.

I will not be making any more front sticks. When you factor in the cost of materials, the cost to ship the tubing to me, and the fabrication and welding costs it is not feasible for me to do this anymore. I do have three rear sticks available to those who may want one.

Back