What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gallery Plugs

I am in the process of rebuilding my Lycoming IO-360-A1B.

I disassembled the engine and took my case parts to Tulsa in March and got them back earlier this month. So I’ve had plenty of time to review and study the parts manual, service instructions, overhaul manual, etc., and I’ve started to reassemble the engine.

When I received my reconditioned case parts back, the shop provided me with a little baggie of NPT Allen plugs as follows: 6 ea. 1/8-27 plugs, 1 ea. 1/16-27 plug, 1 ea. 1/4-18 plug.

The parts manual for IO-360 engines, for my engine model case ( and several others, for that matter) specifies that it requires 6 ea. of the 1/8-27 NPT Allen plugs only. The other sizes aren’t required for my engine model. On the next page of the parts manual, the drawing accompanying the parts list shows where 5 of the 1/8-27 plugs go: 4 are screwed into the left and right main gallery passages, front and rear, and 1 is screwed into the passage drilled at an angle through the back of the right case half into where the oil pressure relief valve passage is machined I think.

I cannot for the life of me find where the sixth 1/8–27 NPT plug is supposed to go - the shop sent 6 of them, the parts list calls out for 6 of them, but the drawing shows 5 and I installed 5. I searched and traced everywhere on the physical case for another place where it was tapped 1/8-27 NPT; there was none.

Anybody have an answer for this?

Back