What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What is this tape in the wingtip light cover?

I'm going to be replacing my wingtip nav lights with LEDs. I noticed there's some tape or gasket to keep water out. Looks worn out so I want to replace it at the same time. Does anyone know what it is and where I can buy some more?

wingtip_nav_light.jpg

I don't believe it is standard, so use whatever you want, or don't use anything.

I think it is chip guard or clear tape. My lens is attached like that and the vibration makes frosty spots at the contact points.

Good Idea actually, I think I'll try it, it is thin and won't mess with the contour match.

Last edited:
That almost looks like something that was used to keep the lens in position prior to putting the screw in and MAYbe adding some additional security. Whatever it was does not look too durable. I have some clear, double-sided tape (WalMart Aviation Supply, probably) that would do better at sealing that edge as it is thicker. Likely more water-resistant than Scotch tape. My lens is held on by rows of countersunk screws but is also much larger. I did not have anything sealing the edges and have no problem with water accumulation. I do have a small drain hole at the most inferior aspect of the lens....

Looks a lot like anti-chafe tape. Comes in several widths and opaque or clear. And does a fair job of sealing. Not a bad idea. Think I’ll use that on my wing lights.

RD

Looks like double sided waterproof clear mounting tape for outdoor use.

I assumed it was part of the standard build, but good to know that it's not. Gotta think the builder would've have had a good reason to put this there, so I'll have to figure out an alternative. I've seen some clear, waterproof double sided tape for hanging stuff on walls and holding carpets, but not sure if they make it this thin.

I doubt it's double-sided tape, if it was, you'd have a heck of a time getting that cover off to replace a light bulb. As others have suggested, it's likely just anti-chafe tape, so either a vinyl or polyester with adhesive on one side, just to prevent abrading the lens if there is any vibration/movement between the two pieces.

No..........

Might have been used as a gasket to reduce water entering the area.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies! So I took a closer look at it when replacing my nav lights. It's some kind of clear anti-chafe tape. Maybe a little bit of a barrier to water, but not much. Really I think it's just there to keep parts from rubbing together.

Back