What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wings kit--Crating Date Late Aug/Early Sept

How are folks having their wings delivered via Freight? Home delivery with the residential option and lift gate service? I am not sure the freight company will drive/back into my driveway (rural, non subdivision), so I have been thinking about stealing someone's idea from these forums and renting a U-Haul truck and picking it up from the freight terminal. I will obviously talk to the freight company once that gets set up, but I was just wondering what my options are and how much.

How are folks having their wings delivered via Freight? Home delivery with the residential option and lift gate service? I am not sure the freight company will drive/back into my driveway (rural, non subdivision), so I have been thinking about stealing someone's idea from these forums and renting a U-Haul truck and picking it up from the freight terminal. I will obviously talk to the freight company once that gets set up, but I was just wondering what my options are and how much.

for my 10 finishing kit crate, I rented a trailer from teh local rental place. Relatively inexpensive and saved a lot by picking up at terminal.

strike up a deal with the local hdwe store. have your kit delivered to their dock. then go to the dock with your whatever and load it up.

I should add the email update today says the kit has shipped with items on back order. Curious what’s not gonna be included.

Also because I wasn’t sure of the delivery process I spoke to their shipping folks out there this afternoon and they confirmed that by default they select delivery with a lift gate and hand truck included in the shipping request. He said if you don’t want that you need to let them know before it ships.

Last edited:
Mike G

Do you mind sharing what the shipping cost for the wing kit was? I figure shipping to Ohio ought to be close to what it is to Oklahoma for me

Thanks

$1230 all in, including $25 for using a cc to pay. Bout what I thought it would be. ABF is the freight company. I had to call them directly to set up the delivery. Glad I did as I will be out of the country all next week. If you have ABF as well, you have to make payment arrangements ahead of time, they don't do COD despite what the shipping document from Vans says.

Thanks for letting me know I really appreciate it. I was a bit afraid it was going to be over $2000 after my last talk with the local hardwood lumber dealer talking about how their shipping had doubled in the past 2 years.

Took delivery 10-26-2022. I’m still in shock. I’m thinking it was the only crate on the truck. I could have drove out there and back for half of that.

Wings are Scheduled for Delivery on Jan 23 2023

ABF contacted me this morning and I've paid the freight bill ($1247.10). I've scheduled a residential, liftgate delivery for next Monday. Like others have pointed out, I have items that are backordered--aileron bell cranks x2, wing bearings and misc, both left and right fuel senders, and w/o the center section.

ABF contacted me this morning and I've paid the freight bill ($1247.10). I've scheduled a residential, liftgate delivery for next Monday. Like others have pointed out, I have items that are backordered--aileron bell cranks x2, wing bearings and misc, both left and right fuel senders, and w/o the center section.

Centre section comes in the fuselage kit now.

Has anyone ordered Slow build wings in the last couple months who have already received a crate date? Current lead times say Feb/March but that seems incredibly optimistic. But that's a great sign if it's accurate!

ABF showed up right on time this am with a smaller truck so they were able to back it up into the driveway and drop it off right in my garage. No damage at all. Perfect delivery.

Only a couple small items on back order including the aileron bell cranks. No biggie.

This should keep me busy for a couple years!

ABF delivered my wings kit this morning without any hassle and very helpful. I see no damage to the crates either. The Lawrenceville, GA ABF freight terminal was very helpful and accommodating.

Back