What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My Wife attempt to fly our RV9A solo

Excellent, and a fantastic achievement indeed. I am sure you'll have many many flying adventures together :)

Women in Aviation.....and younger folks, by the way

Absolutely! At ~ 10% of the US pilot population, GA's only real means of survival.

Sadly, the 10% is airline pilots. GA is only 7%. It's a MIGHTY 7% but we can do better!

My RM is earning her private's license being instructed by a woman right-seater airline pilot...who also happens to be an excellent instructor! She and her left-seater husband (they fly with each other!) have a C 180, have built and fly an RV-7, and are working on an RV-10! Not to brag too much on her but not only is she a pilot, she is a BUILDER! (They would be building a -15 if they had only known....!)

As pilots and builders, we need to encourage women and younger people to get involved in our amazing activities. Without them, GA is not going to do well. I look at the average age of pilots these days and people in EAA and wonder how things will keep going....:(

Points Tally

Congrats to both you and Shayna on this accomplishment. Since we know most every wife keeps track of points you earn or lose in the relationship, here's how I see this one going:

1) Plus 10 points for your making a well edited video
2) Plus 25 points for supporting her in this endeavor
3) Minus 100 points for using the word ATTEMPT in the heading :D

Exactly!!

:D:D
Congrats to both you and Shayna on this accomplishment. Since we know most every wife keeps track of points you earn or lose in the relationship, here's how I see this one going:

1) Plus 10 points for your making a well edited video
2) Plus 25 points for supporting her in this endeavor
3) Minus 100 points for using the word ATTEMPT in the heading :D

Agree: 1); agree: 2) Agree: 3):D:D:D:D:D

Being that she KNEW she was being 'observed', that even increases the YAY! factor!

Great flight Shayna! Congrats on soloing your RV-9A. And nice video too!

One safety item I thought I'd mention. In the video the seat belt was riding up and positioned near the bottom of the sternum. It should be low around the hips and tight. Position and tighten the seat belt first, then tighten the shoulder straps.

Consider adding a 5th point strap (crotch strap). One of the main benefits of the crotch strap is holding the seat belt in the proper position, low around the hips.

Fly safe!

Last edited:
Center line.....

" On the center line.... All Day Long "

You go girl :D

:):):)

Decades ago when women in the front office was a rarity, a woman friend of mine was taking her left seat check ride. As they were taxiing out, her nose gear was ON the center line. Her check ride pilot said "Ann: you don't need to be exactly on the center line." She said: "Well, yes I do; I'm a woman." Things have changed but not as much as they should be changing.....

Very well done.

Her self-talk through the maneuvers is fun to listen to, reminds me of my own piloting habits, and is probably one of her secrets to preforming so well.

It feels strange to say, but eventually she'll want to adopt more businesslike habits on the radio and leave the "Thank you's" off the end of her transmissions. I love her informal, polite demeanor but the AIM says to keep it succinct with standard phraseology.

I watched the whole thing to the end and felt a great deal of pride of accomplishment for her. May her tribe increase.

Thanks all for the kind words! She is definitely super excited to be part of the club! Thank you also for the advice on the seat belts. Shayna has been an awesome ambassador for women aviators and our youtube videos have been a great avenue for her to share and get more women involved. I was out of town for work this week and for the first time got a notification of my own plane taking off from Napa airport. It was awesome to see her just take the plane up for fun after work and go fly around. Good times for sure! Thanks again for all the encouragement and comments!!

Back