What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting GTX-45R in baggage compartment

MikeinPhoenix

Well Known Member
I’m updating my avionics and prepping to install new Garmin avionics in my 9A. I I was told it might be beneficial to mount the GTX-45R Xponder in the baggage area. Since I bought my 9A and didn’t build it, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions where best to mount it?

Many thanks, Mike

Txpndr

Realize that the 45r has Bluetooth so it has an antenna. Any metal bulkhead or panel between that antenna and the cockpit will reduce the signal, if not block it. If you aren’t using it, then it’s no big deal either way. If there is an obstruction, it may or may not work…

I have installed my TXP 45R behind the baggage area in both of my RV14 with zero issues including bluetooth reception.

I don't think IN the baggage compartment is a good solution, too easy to damage the GTX-45R or its wiring.

I mounted mine aft of the baggage compartment bulkhead between the F-706 and F-707 bulkheads. I had already installed Vans OP-47 AHRS bracket which included a longitudinal rib on the pilot side of the aircraft centerline and a horizontal tray. I didn't use the tray. I made an 'L shaped bracket connected to the F-729A rib between the two bulkheads (and supports the pitch bellcrank) and VA-259 AHRS rib. Mount the XPDR well aft for clearance to the autopilot pitch servo and offset from the centerline of the aircraft to give clearance to the pitch pushrod. Be aware that there are a LOT of wires that have to go from the XPDR underneath the baggage floor and seat floor and through the forward tunnel to the instrument panel.

Mounting gtx 45r behind baggage compartment

Many thanks for the feedback. I’ll follow your lead and mount behind the baggage compartment.

Mike

Mounting transponder

My 45R and ELT are on a shelf that’s mounted to the longerons.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Attachments

• 73055269-E9BB-4065-A8A3-A2766ECB0721.jpg
    73055269-E9BB-4065-A8A3-A2766ECB0721.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 254
  • 9CBF96ED-B206-4D9A-B66F-C84112420DE0.jpg
    9CBF96ED-B206-4D9A-B66F-C84112420DE0.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 165
  • E05AD62A-1C34-473C-9BE6-64B1ACD2BA53.jpg
    E05AD62A-1C34-473C-9BE6-64B1ACD2BA53.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 210
I did something similar, mounting the GTX and GPS units aft of the baggage bulkhead. Built a mount out of Van’s ELT mount:

Both transponder and GPS antennas are back there and the units wire to each other so I thought it made sense.

Mounting GTX behind baggage compartment

That’s a clean looking install. Love how you repurposed the ELT mount. I think I will follow your lead and do the same.

RE: Aft of Baggae area

I have installed my TXP 45R behind the baggage area in both of my RV14 with zero issues including bluetooth reception.

Hello Mehrdad,

I'm currently trying to sort out where to mount my GTX-45R.
How far behind the baggage bulkhead did you mount the unit on your RVs? Also, how did you mount it? (near the bottom skin or elevated near the upper longerons?).... and would you happen to have any photos of the installation?

Thanks,
Greg

Hello Mehrdad,

I'm currently trying to sort out where to mount my GTX-45R.
How far behind the baggage bulkhead did you mount the unit on your RVs? Also, how did you mount it? (near the bottom skin or elevated near the upper longerons?).... and would you happen to have any photos of the installation?

Thanks,
Greg

Greg,
I mounted mine right behind the bulkhead forward of the bellcrank. The rails that the bellcrank is mounted on extend to the bulkhead and there is plenty of room to create a mount and install it right on top of that. I believe RV10 has its battery there.

Hope this helps.

RE:

Thank you, that helps a great deal.

(Unfortunately, I'm very space constrained in my garage right now, where the project is, and I haven't been able to view the area behind the bulkhead from the forward side, so that option hadn't occurred to me.)

I appreciate the fast response, Mehrdad!

Fly Safe,
Greg

I mounted my GTX 45R & GTR 20 behind the baggage bulkhead similar to Mehrdad. It’s working out well.

Attachments

• 190E88EB-44F8-4EE0-972A-5F3A6F31A3F2.jpg
    190E88EB-44F8-4EE0-972A-5F3A6F31A3F2.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 88
Thanks!

Excellent, thanks for the great picture! You guys have been super helpful.

(I apologize to the RV-9 guys, if we -14 guys have hijacked the thread.)

Most appreciative,

Greg

Back