What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

QB fuel tank leaks

romaja

Well Known Member
I received RV-14A my QB wings a month ago. I pulled the tanks off the wings to test as per Vans instructions. Performed the Bubble test and didnt find any leaks. I filled each tank with several gallons of 100LL and let them sit for several days and then would flip them.

Then next morning I had a puddle of fuel underneath one tank and could easily see the blue dye from the fuel coming out of the tank. Performed the spray test again and observed bubbles. I live 60 minutes from the factory and arranged to bring the tank in for repair.

Unfortunately, when I returned home. I noticed the other tank leaking fuel.

FYI, If you are going to the trouble to test the tanks, Put some fuel in the tanks to back up the bubble test. The initial bubble test that was performed twice on each tank didnt reveal any leaks. It was only after putting fuel in the tanks and letting them sit did I find the leaks in both tanks.

Regards,
Jim

FYI, If you are going to the trouble to test the tanks, Put some fuel in the tanks to back up the bubble test. The initial bubble test that was performed twice on each tank didnt reveal any leaks. It was only after putting fuel in the tanks and letting them sit did I find the leaks in both tanks.

Regards,
Jim

I would go one step further: If you are going to the trouble and expense of buying QB wings, EXPECT that the tanks will leak and plan appropriately!

-Marc

And unfortunately the bubble test won't spot a leaking vent line at the ib rib. I had to remove both my QB tanks to fix vent leaks, one just before first flight and the other 6 mo later.

Maybe putting fuel in the tank to cover the vent IB fittings would spot a leak, but it took 6 mo for it to show up on one of my tanks

And unfortunately the bubble test won't spot a leaking vent line at the ib rib. I had to remove both my QB tanks to fix vent leaks, one just before first flight and the other 6 mo later.

Maybe putting fuel in the tank to cover the vent IB fittings would spot a leak, but it took 6 mo for it to show up on one of my tanks

Thanks for the reply. Was wondering about the vent as well. Vans tech guys suggested plugging the finger strainer and leave the vent uncapped at the wing root. Then, stand the tank on end with fuel in it. Their should be no fuel coming out of this fitting.

Jim

My QB tank leaked too. I was convinced it was leak free at installation. Took 10 hours and some G’s to show up.
I found this poll from some time ago. Roughly half the builders said they had tank leaks. Hard to imagine half were QB. Maybe need another poll.

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=12345&highlight=Poll+fuel+leak&page=2

Thanks for the link. I pulled up the poll and not sure how many of these were QB.
I ordered my QB wings 10/09/2020 and picked up 06/20/2022.

Before I ordered I did some research on how many QB tanks had leak problems. This a difficult task as the forum ends up looking more like a triage. People are more vocal about problems they encounter. People seldom post about their leak free experience with their fuel tanks, hence it is hard to get an accurate accounting.

Yes, it is definitely a bummer that I have experienced these fuel leaks but Vans has been attentive and has agreed to repair them. As someone mentioned, I am fortunate that I live relatively close to the factory as this is not always the case for fellow builders.

Bes, Jim

Back