What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Photo request: firewall battery box mounts

N546RV

Well Known Member
Background: I have an EarthX ETX-900 battery and their thermal battery box. I'll be mounting this in the engine compartment of my -8, but I've done a pretty absurd amount of head-scratching and second-guessing as to where and how to mount the box. Putting it on the right side is pretty much a given, but I'm indecisive as to whether it goes high or low, and oriented vertically or horizontally.

I'm sure there are a million ways to skin this cat, and I'd like to see a variety so I can finally get over this overthinking phase and finish laying out my firewall.

Thanks!

Nice - I like the backing plate idea. I've been giving myself fits trying to figure out how best to get the prepunched holes in the battery box to coincide with the firewall angles. That's a really nice way to resolve that.

Do you have any difficulty removing the battery in that position, what with the upper part of the firewall bent forward? That was another thing that concerned me about mounting high, though I suppose removing the battery could just involve loosening the attach screws to allow the box to tilt a bit.

... Do you have any difficulty removing the battery in that position, what with the upper part of the firewall bent forward? That was another thing that concerned me about mounting high, though I suppose removing the battery could just involve loosening the attach screws to allow the box to tilt a bit.
It's tight, but it comes out. The upper FW flexes a bit. This is a really small battery and if it were a couple of inches taller it would not want to come out as easily.

Another option would have been to offset the battery 1/4" or so from the FW to provide space for it to slide up the upper FW, but I think your idea of just loosening the screws is better. I had the battery in and out many times during the build process, but I have never removed the battery since I've been flying.

Terrible location for removal, I need to unbolt the battery box to remove battery. I didn't choose this location.

Attachments

• 20211001_162806.jpg
    20211001_162806.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 151
Back