What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dominican Republic officially welcomes BasicMed

GalinHdz

Well Known Member
Canada, when

I wonder why Canada hasn't recognized Basic Med. I never saw any statement from them or any info on if they are actively considering. Last time I checked, AOPA had nothing.

How much does it cost Canada to not join in?

I wonder why Canada hasn't recognized Basic Med. I never saw any statement from them or any info on if they are actively considering. Last time I checked, AOPA had nothing.

I suspect all of these other countries accept US pilots with a light sport PPL (thought that ICAO required each country to accept other participating countries licensed pilots, though unsure if there is an exception for light sport) and if that is the case, basic med is actually more stringent (DR sign off required), so odd they would have any issues with it. Just can't see how a LS pilot with zero medical oversight is any safer than someone on basic med.

On the flipside, there are now FARs in place for education and self examining one's fitness to fly on basic med and maybe these other countries don't feel like adopting them or dealing with the legislative hassle.

Larry

Last edited:

AFAIK the FAA does not accept the Canadian equivalent to Basic Med so they don't accept ours. Things will change, eventually. :(

Canadian Basic Med

I hadn't heard the Canada offers pilots something similar to the FAA BasicMed. Is that something relatively new?

Canada has a category called Recreational Pilot Permit (RPP). This category requires a Cat 4 Medical which is similar to Basic Med. Cat 4 Medicals only apply to RPP holders, PPL holders must still maintain minimum Cat 3 medicals

RPP pilots are not permitted to fly south of the border, conversely, U.S. recreational pilot certificates and sport pilot certificates are not recognized in Canada.

Last edited:
I suspect all of these other countries accept US pilots with a light sport PPL (thought that ICAO required each country to accept other participating countries licensed pilots, though unsure if there is an exception for light sport) and if that is the case, basic med is actually more stringent (DR sign off required), so odd they would have any issues with it. Just can't see how a LS pilot with zero medical oversight is any safer than someone on basic med.

Larry
FWIW the type of pilot license you have is irrelevant to the medical certificate you carry. Nothing prevents you from carrying a 3rd class, or higher, medical certificate yet only have a Sport Pilot License. To fly inside Canada a US licensed pilot requires a 3rd class, or higher, medical certificate.

And I think you meant a Light Sport Pilot License, not a Light Sport Private Pilot License.

:rolleyes:

Can we thread bend? Now that the DR is welcoming us, what theoretical flight plan would get me there from DFW area in an RV-6A?

Would be quite the adventure.

Can we thread bend? Now that the DR is welcoming us, what theoretical flight plan would get me there from DFW area in an RV-6A?

Would be quite the adventure.

Here is one of many ways to get there. Weather permitting It would take 2days with an overnight somewhere in Florida. The hardest part will be from the DFW area to South Florida. The Caribbean portion will be easy.

FWIW I have done that flight several times and it is not that hard to do.

Flying to DR

Galin, I was curious if you’ve ever flown to the eastern part of the DR such as Punta Cana or La Romana? I’ve traveled commercially to both recently, but would be interested to know if either are GA-friendly?

Thanks!

Galin, I was curious if you’ve ever flown to the eastern part of the DR such as Punta Cana or La Romana? I’ve traveled commercially to both recently, but would be interested to know if either are GA-friendly?

Thanks!
Yes I have flown to Punta Cana, La Romana, Samana and other places in the DR. All airports in the DR are basically "GA friendly" but like everywhere some are friendlier than others. I will PM you for more info.

Last edited:
Back