What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2.6 lb, 30 amp Monkworkz Generator Intro Videos

Adel Clamp Mounting

I've done adel clamps on opposite corners. The case is machined out of 6061 and the mounting tabs are just less than 0.25", so plenty beefy.

You can drill out the #6 mounting holes to AN4 to work with an adel clamp. There is enough space on the top side to fit MS nuts with out washers.

An album with that install is here

AM-JKLWxqkEW84sWKw-YBOlSTuNV1CIGIvr2PQTypAHilFfsHjETxlQUCgNeDcVy0LgXhbWyr9Lc9JQoBTEN37kpEXCnuylfD3VF1qp5sLy9YkzQsMDqPbJyIeOXHSEtixL4b-O-KHtqt3fwmAtxq5yYKaiI=w1512-h1134-no

Looks fantastic

This looks great Bill. I’m just getting into the wild world of electronics for my 7. I’m going with the VPX for my circuit protection and this would help bring the plane into the modern world even further. My question is, is there any issue with installing it with the VPX and PPS? Might be a question for the vertical power guys, but figured I’d pose the question to you. Thank you and keep up the good work.

This looks great Bill. I’m just getting into the wild world of electronics for my 7. I’m going with the VPX for my circuit protection and this would help bring the plane into the modern world even further. My question is, is there any issue with installing it with the VPX and PPS? Might be a question for the vertical power guys, but figured I’d pose the question to you. Thank you and keep up the good work.

No issues working with vertical power, it behaves like another power source.

Bill

Just tested the new (current) regulator architecture as I had one of the early models...

I intend this unit to be a back up and is directly connected to my EFI buss. This buss has a dedicated battery and is completely independant of the ship's power with the single exception of a "tie relay". When the tie is active, my EFI bus is powered from the ship and the primary, belt driven alternator.

There was always a small concern that in case of a alternator failure I would need to manually untie the buss' and shed load to land on battery power. My EFI battery is sized to give plenty of power to land, but it was never intended to be a "continue to destination" architecture. The MZ-30 changes the game. Even with the buss' tied, I can fail the main alternator and the MZ-30 instantly wakes up and accepts the load with no action from me. Only indication I get is the LED on the panel that the MZ-30 is awake and on the job. I still have the option of breaking the buss tie and continuing on with the EFI bus (and engine) running, but I have demonstated that the MZ-30 carries the EFI buss AND the full ship without complaint.

Not sure if I would press on to my final destination in case of primary alternator failure just yet, but the MZ-30 sure bought me some valuable options at very little weight penalty if I find myself over water, mountains, or on top of a layer.

Great product and a Bill is a class act. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
What would be cool...

What would be really cool is if this alternator could be adapted to mount in the empty magneto locations for those who are running EFII or SDS systems.

Talk about redundancy...and those pads are sitting there empty...

Works great

Just finished the install. Instructions are excellent and it does exactly what it is supposed to so. Support has also been excellent. Quite happy to replace my SD-8 with this.

Hi Jesse,

Yes, I am working on a belt driven version. There are some mechanical hurdles so don't expect anything for quite some time but it is my intention to make one that runs on the front of the engine.

Thanks,

Bill

Doubling down on the request for this from us RV-12 people who live in a perpetually weight-constrained world.

The output of the standard Rotax 912 ULS electrical system is limited at 15 amps, so a backup with significantly more power would be incredible.

An even better solution would be a mount which interfaces with the currently-empty vacuum pump mount on the back of the gearbox, since this would avoid having to modify the cowling to accommodate the belt drive. On the RV-12, this would need to take into account the pitot connection block, but that can probably be solved with a unified bracket which combines both functions.

Doubling down on the request for this from us RV-12 people who live in a perpetually weight-constrained world.

The output of the standard Rotax 912 ULS electrical system is limited at 15 amps, so a backup with significantly more power would be incredible.

An even better solution would be a mount which interfaces with the currently-empty vacuum pump mount on the back of the gearbox, since this would avoid having to modify the cowling to accommodate the belt drive. On the RV-12, this would need to take into account the pitot connection block, but that can probably be solved with a unified bracket which combines both functions.

Thanks for the reminder, this is for sure something I'd like to tackle. I'll send you a message.

Bill

Back