What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Introducing the RV-15!

Looks absolutely gorgeous. I see a healthy mix of solid and pull rivets as well. Looks like a manual flap actuator on the overhead. Really amazing. I'm stoked!!!

Look at that tail wheel! Looks like a shock absorber. Sounds like an O320, but could be some other 4 cylinder.

edit: DanH has identified the engine as an IO390.

Last edited:
Hey wait a minute - this isn't a fake. Wow - look forward to seeing it in person in a few weeks!

Pictures

Yay!!!!

VAFDR_%20495%20Jul.%2009%2019.38.jpg

VAFDR_%20501%20Jul.%2009%2019.52.jpg

VAFDR_%20502%20Jul.%2009%2019.53.jpg

VAFDR_%20496%20Jul.%2009%2019.38.jpg

VAFDR_%20497%20Jul.%2009%2019.39.jpg

VAFDR_%20498%20Jul.%2009%2019.44.jpg

VAFDR_%20499%20Jul.%2009%2019.51.jpg

VAFDR_%20500%20Jul.%2009%2019.52.jpg

Empennage?

I can't quite tell...looks a bit like a stabilator vs. traditional horizontal stab. and elevator. Anyone else see that?

And Johnson Bar for Flaps on cabin ceiling?

excited!!!

Shoot, I'm already knee deep in a -10 build.

Attachments

• shut-up-and-take-all-my-money.jpg
    shut-up-and-take-all-my-money.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 294
Appears to need a couple of tailcone belly stiffeners to prevent that oil-canning.

VAFDR_%20501%20Jul.%2009%2019.52.jpg

The sloped cowl is nice, that's a bit like the Cessna 170's decent over-the-nose visibility. Wish my current C180 had that.

Seems as if the tailwheel spring is different than the typical Van's version.

In these photos, no landing gear or strut intersection fairings, so there's some room for clean-up.

Hard to tell, but the prop clearance, with that prop, is not very large. Of course as a taildragger, if the tail is kept low, that's probably okay most of the time.

Dave

They're being sneaky with the registration information...

Serial Number 081005
Manufacturer Name VANS AIRCRAFT INC
Certificate Issue Date 05/19/2022
Model RV-8X

RV-8X? Really?

Fowler Flap?

The flap is not the normal Vans style flap. More like Fowler flap.

Attachments

• capture.JPG
    capture.JPG
    206.3 KB · Views: 513
Round Access Hatch Inside Fuselage

What is this round access panel to the rear of the pilot?

Attachments

• capture.JPG
    capture.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 531
Huge Flap (2/3 of the Span)

The flap is very large on the RV15, upto 2/3 of the semi-span.

Attachments

• capture.JPG
    capture.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 268
The stretch version with a back seat looks to be an easy add on to the RV15 line.
That sure sounds like a 4 cylinder Lyc, or Cont aircraft engine in the video, but turning it into an O-470 stretched 4 seater should be an easy follow on to that line.

Width...

I wonder how wide it is...If those are 15" tires I would guess it is in the 42"-44" range.

Wondering how us XL pilots will fit...

I think we are seeing an evolution here. This looks like a big step in revolutionizing GA in terms of mainstream aircraft manufacturing. This might be a line of EAB aircraft kit designs that could replace legacy aircraft that have had an increasingly difficult time with cost controls, or complete loss of production, thus limiting their customer base.
A modern Vans designed kit, that can be assembled/built by a person with average skills, at a fraction of the cost of a new production legacy aircraft could change the landscape for new aircraft ownership. Especially if they eventually allow the “hire ( someone/some company) to build it for you program” - I can’t remember what that proposal is called, you could develop a new business that drastically increases what you have done before, and at the same time gives credibility to our side of aviation.
I’ve owned 3 Cessna 170’s and I loved them. Only problem, they were slow, and all older than me. And I’m a senior citizen. Time for a change……

Cessna 180/185 and early 182s are 40” wide. The 62 and later 182s are 44” wide.

42-44” would certainly be adequate, if not cavernous.

Last edited:
So, what made them release this video? Did they get caught flying it somewhere?

The video says Phase 1 testing. Do you think they will have the 40 hours done and have it at Oshkosh?

Who

That sure looks like a familiar VAFer flying it?
Am I right or just seeing things?

They did what I asked: large fowler flaps, looks like a RV9 airfoil without the concave aft upper surface. I would suggest 185 kts cruise with a 25 kt stall speed. So HUGE speed range!!

Total performance!!!

Last edited:
RV-15

What is this round access panel to the rear of the pilot?

The access panel appears to be on a box next to him, rather than the rear. Looks like it is at elbow height. I wonder if it's a fuel tank. Looking at the wings, I don't see fuel drain valves. If there is fuel in the wings, I wonder if it is forward of the spar (like most RVs) or aft (like the Cessnas). The region forward of the spar has mechanical linkage. Maybe aileron? No idea what the foam handles could be.

Baggage area looks large. Hard to tell if it could fit back seats. I see no baggage door which leads me to believe two seater only.

The access panel appears to be on a box next to him, rather than the rear. Looks like it is at elbow height. I wonder if it's a fuel tank. Looking at the wings, I don't see fuel drain valves. If there is fuel in the wings, I wonder if it is forward of the spar (like most RVs) or aft (like the Cessnas). The region forward of the spar has mechanical linkage. Maybe aileron? No idea what the foam handles could be.

Baggage area looks large. Hard to tell if it could fit back seats. I see no baggage door which leads me to believe two seater only.

The control linkage push-rod is located right at the leading edge, above the "A-pillar". You can see the bell-crank in the video. So the fuel tank can be behind the forward spar, and the sump tank inside like the RV12. All guessing right now.

Another Youtube channel commented about the large cabin space. It looks as though it is more cavernous than the exterior shot would suggest. This follows my comment about the RV15 filling in the market niche of the Glasair Sportman. Also about the RV14 cowl flap, and the large cabin size, then this is in the Sportman class of airplane, definitely larger than Super Cub size.

I think those foam handles are emergency door releases. Cables to pull door hinge pins. Pilot is wearing chute. Presumably for flight testing only.

Struts make a wing very strong and very light. A passthrough spar would take up a lot of headspace and make removing the wings 10 times harder.

Van was able to make the landing gear all but disappear for speeds under 250 mph... maybe he will do the same for the struts.

I really don't expect the top speed to exceed 140kts. with a landing speed of no less than 38kts. I hope I am wrong on both ends.

Just scaling . . .

If the tires are 6" and 15" dia then the cabin is 44" ish, and the wing skin length is 12.5' ish. Edit: Making the wing +cabin + 8" tips 30"

Love the pivots on the main gear -hints at internal/lateral spring/shocks and excellent travel with damping. Clean for speed.

Last edited:
It does have a Hartzell prop on it according to pic on Vans website above.

I do like the eyebrow windows or overhead windows.

Boomer

Last edited:
So, what made them release this video? Did they get caught flying it somewhere?

A picture of it was posted a couple days ago on a social media site. People were wondering what it was, and speculation heated up when the N number became visible (and was checked). At that point the cat was out of the bag.

- Pat

A picture of it was posted a couple days ago on a social media site. People were wondering what it was, and speculation heated up when the N number became visible (and was checked). At that point the cat was out of the bag.

- Pat

And flightaware has a flight on 1/24/2020
That’s 2 1/2 years ago.

We will see if anyone can verify that.
Boomer

Back