What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A question about torque seal

Jeffcc17

Hello,

I am currently working on the fus of a 10. I have put torque seal on the tails of the bolt and nut but recently I have seen pictures from kit planes and Vic S where the torque seal is on the head of the bolt. Am I putting it on the wrong side? Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Ps I was going to put a picture in here, but need the tutorial on that too.

Attach your photo by using the paperclip icon.

Attachments

• attach a photo.jpg
    attach a photo.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 175
Wherever you can see if there has been rotation. I have seen examples of the torque seal breaking off of the threads without breaking the torque seal. This allows the clump of torque seal to spin with the nut, and it looks intact. For that reason I usually run a bead of it from the part to the nut to the threads.

I usually put the Torque Seal on the nut side, but in areas where the nut side is difficult or impossible to see for inspection I will put it on the bolt head side as well.

Someone told me you should not put it on the threads - can cause galling if the nut ever has to be removed - to put it from the nut down to the structure. This is what I’ve been doing. In some places where a bolt goes into a nutplate - like the bolts that hold the fuel tank on then it has to be on the head of the bolt.

nail polish

So I've been using lacquer nail polish. :eek: All you need is to mark the nut relative to the part so that you can see if any rotation happened. Diving for cover!! :D

Has some use

Torque seal is useless. Spend the time re-checking the torque with a wrench.

I think the value of torque seal is visual confirmation that you torqued the bolt, not whether the bolt is loosening or not. Of course, you have to be religious about applying the torque seal right after you torqued the bolt (or small bolt pattern).

Ted
RV4

I think I read on a Vic Syracuse article that torque seal on a nylock nut is unnecessary. Nothing wrong with it, but you should be checking the torque on these threads during a condition inspection with a wrench. Torque seal is perfect for stop nuts, and a few other fasteners, but not needed on many of our standard lock-nutted fasteners.

Only one reason

The only reason I use it is to tell me I've been there and done with it. I agree it is really worthless for guaranteeing that the bolt is still tight.
Seen them loose and torque seal was good.
Oops I mean still looked good.
art

Back