What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vertical Stabilizer Alert - Drawing 27A

vomatic

I was talking to Van's today and we got on the topic of the vertical stabilizer. Kevin Miller encouraged me to share with EVERYONE to look at drawing 27A before fitting your VS and specifically the VS-702 TRIM DETAIL in the lower left corner. The drawing calls for the removal of 5/8" of material from VS-702. DON'T DO THAT.

Instead, fit the VS and remove only the amount needed to fit, if any. Removing 5/8" of material is probably too much and will likely require you to fabricate a doubler to add back what you just removed.

Hope that helps.....and arrives in time for everyone.

Attachments

• 27A.pdf
    123.5 KB · Views: 701
New mount

Yep. Common problem on the 7 as well. I encourage builders to search for part numbers before cutting critical components. I cut less and still had to make a new F781

Yep that instruction to trim got me too about 18 months ago. You'd think Vans would correct this type of erroneous information. In the scope of things it wouldn't take much effort to edit it to be correct, apply a big brightly colored sticker on the plain page alerting that it's a trim to fit situation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not understanding - 7 or 8?

I am having a hard time understanding this. Confirming that you are talking about RV-8? The drawing 27A you attached is for RV-7.

I looked through my drawings and for the -8 the drawing is 78 and it says remove 9/16", not 5/8". I have marked a note in plans to verify the removal when I get to that point.

I ended up removing quite close to 5/8ths on my 7A and it worked perfectly. I did however follow what Van’s mentioned and didn’t trim anything until I knew how much after test fitting.

VS Spar Trim

It’s been a few years, but I recall following the plans for trimming the end of the VS forward spar and it worked out fine. Are you sure that you have the HS incidence correctly set and that you are properly setting the height of the VS and the VS leading edge by ensuring proper rear-spar and rudder hinge line alignment?

Skylor

Last edited:
Wrong ISO/Page/Airplane

Agree with A36Lee. pg78-8 is for the 8 and not 27. Could you and Miller have been talking about the 7?

Attachments

• Pg 78-8.jpg
    Pg 78-8.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 412
Kit Versiom

Agree with A36Lee. pg78-8 is for the 8 and not 27. Could you and Miller have been talking about the 7?

This depends on which version of the 8 kit the OP is building. If it’s the original “non matched-hole” fuselage kit, then drawing 27 is the correct drawing. If he’s building the “-1” fuselage then drawing 78 is the correct one.

On the older fuselage kit, it’s a bit tricky to set the correct height of the rear spar and this can affect the amount that the forward spar needs to be trimmed.

Skylor

Skylor, I'm new to the vernacular used in this forum and I don't know what is meant by OP could you let me know it's meaning? Also - I'm wondering - the plan posted by vomatic is labeled for the RV-7 and it doesn't say (anywhere that I could find) that it's for the RV-8. I understand some of the components are shared amongst different RV models, but is it normal to go by plans written for another airframe? Thank you...

Skylor, I'm new to the vernacular used in this forum and I don't know what is meant by OP could you let me know it's meaning? Also - I'm wondering - the plan posted by vomatic is labeled for the RV-7 and it doesn't say (anywhere that I could find) that it's for the RV-8. I understand some of the components are shared amongst different RV models, but is it normal to go by plans written for another airframe? Thank you...

As posted above, "OP" is shorthand for "Original Poster".

I'm not sure why the original poster posted a drawing for the RV7/7A in an 8/8A forum and when his signature says he has an 8. Nevertheless the older 8 kits also have drawing 27 and 27a which includes the note "Trim bottom of vertical stabilizer if/as required to fit as shown" and a leader that points to the bottom of the VS spar.

Skylor

Attachments

• 27_8.pdf
    675.2 KB · Views: 216
Search

That’s why the search function is a tool that folks should use more frequently. This is old old news.

DP

That’s why the search function is a tool that folks should use more frequently. This is old old news.

DP

What search function? Certainly, not the one associated with this page as it returns whatever it feels like on any given day...HAHAHA

Sorry for the confusion everyone. Van's sent me the drawing that I posted, #27. You all are correct, the drawing for the -8 is #78. I'm not at that point yet so I didn't look it over very closely. This certainly applies to the -8. I can't say whether it applies to any other models.

Wait to trim the VS-702!!

Reviving an old thread b/c I just went through this. I trimmed the VS702 spar as per the drawing and instructions. Once I had the vertical stab and hinge brackets aligned, i didn't have the required edge distance on the bottom row of rivets on the F-884 attach plate.

After an email to Vans builder support they said it was acceptable to drill a new row of rivets in the attach plate with the requisite edge distance.

Just a note to future builders - I would recommend NOT trimming the VS702 at all until the vertical stab is fitted, then trim if/as necessary. I wish the plans had said to do it that way. As it was I probably only needed to trim 1/4" vs. the indicated 9/16".

Back