What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VPX and Contura rocker switches

az_gila

Well Known Member
After several threads on this subject showing some confusion, I made this schematic to help the non-expert in wiring builders connect Carling Contura switches to a VPX unit.

The big secret is to use double pole switches - labeled DPST - to remove any use of diodes with the VPX, and two independent lamps/LEDs if you want illumination.

I hope this schematic will help others -

ot4.jpg

I haven't done full testing yet, but my viewing seems to show that the Carling incandescent lamps are brighter than blue LEDs.

Here is one easy source for the switches with two white incandescent bulbs.

https://www.onlinecomponents.com/ca...fferal&utm_campaign=octopart&ref=OctopartFeed

This is for bodies only - buy the custom printed aviation labeled covers from other vendors.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Thank you for this valuable post! I was one who had asked this question in the past but with your help before I was able to get it! This diagram really helps confirm everything and lay out the logic.

DPST with 2 independent lights are the ones we need to make it work! Thanks again.

-Jason

I have been looking for VAD2UXXB, DPST 2 Independent Blue LEDS. I emailed SPEMCO and am getting a quote on these for an order from Carling. I will post when they get in stock or if I need to order more than the 10 I need.

-Jason

Where would be the best place to buy the covers and the switch holding brackets?
Thanks

Where would be the best place to buy the covers and the switch holding brackets?
Thanks

Aviation standard ones here - you pick the options -

https://rockerswitchpros.com/switch-actuators/

They will also do full custom.

Holding brackets look like they are well made and come from multiple sources. They are commonly used on off-road vehicles and boats. I got mine off eBay.

They come with individual sections snapped together so you decide the number of switches across.

Last edited by a moderator:
I followed Gil?s advice a few weeks ago and went with DPST switches for any rocker I?m using with the VPX. Actually finished wiring them all up this evening.

For wiring I found using a rheostat from Stein worked well. I have the independent top lights wires in parellel to the variable output and the dependent wired the same way to the ?switched (full power) output. Because I have a mix of VPX and non-VPX I wanted to be able to turn the label lights down and not have the dependent lights at different brightness, because the SPST that are non-VPX switches have their dependent light getting full power.

Back