What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carling Contura V VPX Wiring

mountainride

Well Known Member
I am trying to run an extremely clean panel with minimal switches. I would like them all etched and illuminated to avoid labels on the panel and the need for panel lights at night (although I will still put an LED strip on a dimmer off panel under the glareshield). I put together an imgur post with CAD image of the panel and the switch diagrams.

It looks like people have made this happen with some frustration but I need a little bit of help understanding how to make it work. Is anyone running a similar setup and care to share?

https://imgur.com/gallery/YpMo9

From your blog comments -

Perhaps the flap switch with it's center off positions should not be mixed in the the other on/off switches, especially when they are rockers.

Perhaps this sort of unique switch easily identifiable and all on its own might be better?

11-113372013.jpg

I have considered that and have a few models with that setup. I have others with a switch set solo, but ultimately the flaps will be primarily controlled from the joystick. I have considered removing defrost and pitot heat from the switchboard as well so only items that are used every flight multiple times are switched. All other items will be controlled from G3X. The flap switch with that switch is not illuminated, and requires a label so fails my installation requirements.

Last edited:
I’ve used the carlington rocker led switches with lens covers and used DecalPro Fx to make labels. A tedious process but switches are illuminated and labeled. I changed the leds out to be either red, amber, or blue.

Last edited:
I tried to make it work, then gave up. Im sure it is possible, but not with the knowledge I have of low voltage electrical.

My limited understanding is you need to power the lighted part of the switch from another buss. Ask Chad. He may know a trick or two.

Good luck and keep us up to date.

I tried to make it work, then gave up. Im sure it is possible, but not with the knowledge I have of low voltage electrical.

My limited understanding is you need to power the lighted part of the switch from another buss. Ask Chad. He may know a trick or two.

Good luck and keep us up to date.

I found it hard to find a suitable on/off switch, but this one should do the job. Miniature bulbs not LEDs though.

https://otrattw.net/V-SERIES-SEALED-ROCKER-SWITCH-BODY-ONLY-DPST-NO-ROCKER.html

Wiring is here - http://www.otrattw.com/wiring/VAD.pdf

It's a simple on/off and has two separate poles and two light bulbs. One side of the switch can be used for the VPX (no diodes needed) and the other side of the switch can be used to turn your indicator lamps on and off. The lamps are wired independently so all combinations of on-off should be possible.

Check out the text on the bottom of this page:

http://aerosportproducts.com/switches.htm

These are the Contura II covers which are nice but my personal preference is for the Contura V series and the etched graphic+text. It is especially confusing because it is from the V-series but the "5" (V) style. I will use the premade graphics available at rockerswitchpros and order my switch covers from there.

I found it hard to find a suitable on/off switch, but this one should do the job. Miniature bulbs not LEDs though.

https://otrattw.net/V-SERIES-SEALED-...NO-ROCKER.html

Wiring is here - http://www.otrattw.com/wiring/VAD.pdf

It's a simple on/off and has two separate poles and two light bulbs. One side of the switch can be used for the VPX (no diodes needed) and the other side of the switch can be used to turn your indicator lamps on and off. The lamps are wired independently so all combinations of on-off should be possible.

Thank you! This is the switch I was looking for, one with 2 independent lamps. Unfortunately, these bodies are for the Contura II+III as well from what I have researched. Spemco has more but still not the full line of Contura V switches. I will keep digging for the proper SKUs, but essentially what I think I am looking for is Contura V-series Style V (5) DPST switch bodies with 2 independent LEDs in the Off-On, On-Off-On,(On)-Off)-(On) and Off-(On) configurations.

VAD2U66B - DPST - On-Off is the Contura II version of what I am looking for (but with incandescent instead of LEDs)

similar set up

I'm getting close to the final install of my Panel in a -4 with Carling switches lasered by RockerSwitchPros.com. They are the Contura V DPST model VAD1-G66B. I've been very happy with the quality. Very nice snap action and the documentation is straight forward on wiring. My only gripe is some of the actuators (switch caps) weren't engraved quite centered. It doesn't bother me now, might in a few years... But the guys on the phone at RockerSwitchPros.com were really friendly and accepted one returned item I had, no questions asked.

onjNtgoyLjpDdKPh9M__iiFV4NIgGMD6g6QFBeZqDmrLFb8fzpkpTZJKxJx2PyUScg3aRViycBAwrV3fE33bkoTfkgAOylF_sFh9wQVGUsOMu7nJiDT5si-B6qA5-JWU5sLVKyMkfR1zaESQK41Of_3zOzsGr-dI0gDxYRr80ygC8nl5UQJtOoZ_CljxL1zdx-6-9-Y7ikd2Q0g0QVlZdN1IZ0WaI9INUUlYWShEvmfzum9j1qGOPkakPZSz5hbB6ya4jDcmn8IYFvaLiRMwDVRw1nCmI9G0TLoYGSlWSwaE7uJUncYip4unWhrERZ53AyXNVy4g-KJKRrewYr1Cy5YK7Pl142r2OYylcOQAm-rGIzXBpQejFicSApSH_Eh-c5fttJO7ymo83jwvUbtkWoJOESkMDvjtnWgjAQ7Cghr_hSc8HGazmjfVPVswdXW6yKPYSkkLdvxmkdf575QQ7zlgUObJI1BcdeuEaO2FNrvcw8vSTX4jixhbZ9wecu8-Evn-s86gqRomMPv8HrgKB7KKGlmA3u2rSj_tm88ccQ71zb7hn5Mo0Li2Ykhg3gB8pnDEJiQ3S2OkCoE-mxJAQH1tGv2pK0okBbFQeCA=w898-h483-no

Last edited:
Man those look awesome! I am assuming you have them wired directly from a Electrical Bus instead of the VPX so you can run the dependent lights. I don't think I can make that body work with the VPX.

These are the Contura II covers which are nice but my personal preference is for the Contura V series and the etched graphic+text. It is especially confusing because it is from the V-series but the "5" (V) style. I will use the premade graphics available at rockerswitchpros and order my switch covers from there.

Thank you! This is the switch I was looking for, one with 2 independent lamps. Unfortunately, these bodies are for the Contura II+III as well from what I have researched. Spemco has more but still not the full line of Contura V switches. I will keep digging for the proper SKUs, but essentially what I think I am looking for is Contura V-series Style V (5) DPST switch bodies with 2 independent LEDs in the Off-On, On-Off-On,(On)-Off)-(On) and Off-(On) configurations.

VAD2U66B - DPST - On-Off is the Contura II version of what I am looking for (but with incandescent instead of LEDs)

As I read the Carling datasheet, they refer to all of the bodies as "V Series" and it's the actuators that are different.

http://datasheet.octopart.com/VAD2U66B-00000-000-Carling-datasheet-26703698.pdf

First page of the data sheet says that the II, III, IV and V bodies have interchangeable actuators.

I have checked that the rockerswitchpros actuators do fit the DPDT body with two lamps that I listed previously.

I used rockerswitchpros and am very happy. Still need to have some labels. I didn't find the labeling to be a big deal.

20170822_195414.jpg

I'm actually not using the VPX at all. At the risk of thread drift, I'm more of a physical, pullable breaker type guy. I like to have instant, full control of my electrical system. Plus there's the cost of the VPX, it doesn't work with my GRT Sport EX, blah blah blah. That's neither here nor there...

The dependent lights on my Carlings will be on my Nav Light Switch and controlled through a dimmer. (not pictured. NAV, Strobe, and Landing lights will be side panel down my right knee)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0756NDLPM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As I read the Carling datasheet, they refer to all of the bodies as "V Series" and it's the actuators that are different.

http://datasheet.octopart.com/VAD2U6...t-26703698.pdf

First page of the data sheet says that the II, III, IV and V bodies have interchangeable actuators.

I have checked that the rockerswitchpros actuators do fit the DPDT body with two lamps that I listed previously.

Thank you again for helping me get this straight on what to order. I can definitely find the switch body I want from the selection at spemco.com

I would like to have two indendent LEDs, one that illuminates the icons when the avionics switch is turned on. I feel comfortable running this as a load from the VPX separate from the switched neutral.

The second part is figuring out how to illuminate the bottom LED when the switch is turned on. I believe this is somehow done with diodes but I will need to understand this better

9cqrLQj.png

The on-off-on switches will have both LEDs illuminated at all times.

I have used Rocker Switch Pros a couple of times and they have been great to work with for the Carling switches. Also using the VPX-Pro and did have issues with rockers that have two lights in them.

Speaking with Chad at Vertical Power and Rocker Switch Pros, we went with these switches. https://rockerswitchpros.com/product/vad1-g66b/

These worked great for any switch that controls through the VPX. Have the top light always on, and the bottom light turns on when the switch is activated. No diods or extra wiring needed.

However, If you are looking to do this ignition switches, they dont work and require a custom switch. I did have to do this and they require a minimum order for the switches. If you are going with the rockers for ignition, let me know as I have some of the custom ones left. These also light up the top light when off and turns on the bottom light when turned on.

I would like to have two indendent LEDs, one that illuminates the icons when the avionics switch is turned on. I feel comfortable running this as a load from the VPX separate from the switched neutral.

The second part is figuring out how to illuminate the bottom LED when the switch is turned on. I believe this is somehow done with diodes but I will need to understand this better

Keep the two sides of the switch separate. One side controls the VPX just like any other switch. No diodes needed.

The other side can be used to switch one of the lamps on when it's closed. the second lamp I'm guessing is linked to all of the switches and is on all of the time when a master switch is on.

The VPX calls for a diode only when those specific switch contacts are also used for bulb illumination. The double pole option removes that requirement.

Why?

I have used Rocker Switch Pros a couple of times and they have been great to work with for the Carling switches. Also using the VPX-Pro and did have issues with rockers that have two lights in them.

Speaking with Chad at Vertical Power and Rocker Switch Pros, we went with these switches. https://rockerswitchpros.com/product/vad1-g66b/

These worked great for any switch that controls through the VPX. Have the top light always on, and the bottom light turns on when the switch is activated. No diods or extra wiring needed.

Nah, use rockerswitchpros for your actuators only.

Use the switch body I referenced above - why fool around with one dependent bulb and cross-wired contacts for the second bulb when you can simply
buy a switch body from another vendor (only $11 or so, about 1% of an AMU) that has two independent bulbs?

Keep the two sides of the switch separate. One side controls the VPX just like any other switch. No diodes needed.

The other side can be used to switch one of the lamps on when it's closed. the second lamp I'm guessing is linked to all of the switches and is on all of the time when a master switch is on.

The VPX calls for a diode only when those specific switch contacts are also used for bulb illumination. The double pole option removes that requirement.

Thank you for the third time in a day! This is the answer I was looking for. This setup would required a DPST off-on switch where the second pole is used to switch the bottom (independent) LED. The 1st pole is used to normally control the VPX and the top independent LED is always on. I finally have it straight in my head...I think.

Back