What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for some quality tape to seal up wings

Aden Rich

Well Known Member
Not a true RV thread here but I'm hoping that someone has some information on some leads for a good quality sealing tape. I have a Piper Pacer and I have been using some duct tape (white) to seal up the gas tank covers. Mostly to keep out rain and such when it's parked. Left unsealed, the front tank cover has a slight indent in the leading edge to help alleviate the skin edge from sticking up into the slipstream. However, I have found that water will run down under the tank skin into the tank bay. It also collects debris and bugs down in there.
The duct tape last about 5-7 hours and then gets peeled back by the airflow and propwash on the right wing. I tried Gorilla tape and that was a mistake. It peeled off but left the tacky adhesive layer attached. 2 hours of my life and about 1/2 gallon of MEK later, it was removed.
Anyone used tape to seal up seams on the RV's and had long lasting effects with it? I know the RV's go about 50 mph faster than my Pacer so if the tape can withstand that, maybe it will work.
I bought some Soaring tape made to seal up Gliders but I am looking to test anything that would work and last.

Thanks,
Aden Rich

Tape

I have a white tape that seems to have really sticky stuff. I have never tried it on my rv. I’m kind of afraid of taking off the paint. I can send you some if you will make a donation to VAF. Call me 303-772-2202.

Which gorilla tape did you use? The gorilla duct tape is pretty nasty, it try the gorilla “repair” tape. It’s clear, yet stretchy, and doesn’t leave a film. Not the clear packing tape, make sure it’s the repair tape. It looks like the clear packing tape, it a little thicker and stretchy, almost rubbery feel.

Back