What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My own little airstrip

swjohnsey

Well Known Member
I have a little farm. I have about 2,200 feet I could use for a grass/dirt strip. It isn't oriented perfectly maybe 3/21. Most strips around here are 13/31 or so. There is a short powerline at one end maybe 30'. Do I have to do anything to get it legal? I might build a little hanger maybe 30x30. I have a RV-3 with no wheel pants and a 7KCAB Citabria.

Go for it.

I calculated yesterday while riding the zero-turn that I spend about 5-10 hours mowing my 2100 feet of grass for every RV hour I log in the air.

And even so, I wouldn't trade it for a rental hangar on some city's paved airport unless I had to. It's your dream; make it happen.

The field I live on is oriented 21/03 and works just fine. Some days the approach on 21 requires some crabbing. But hey, who doesn't enjoy a crabbed approach now & then? It's all good!

My experience is that the local planning commission has the final say. The Feds will issue an ok as long as it is not dangerous. From your description of your situation I would say "no problem." My situation is I have 1,500 feet on 18 coming in over 40 foot power lines. From at 36 perspective is it a 1000 foot no obstructions. Works for me.

The feds told me they would ok most any situation, but the final is the locals.

Best to you, I would definitely start with the local first.

I have a little farm. I have about 2,200 feet I could use for a grass/dirt strip. It isn't oriented perfectly maybe 3/21. Most strips around here are 13/31 or so. There is a short powerline at one end maybe 30'. Do I have to do anything to get it legal? I might build a little hanger maybe 30x30. I have a RV-3 with no wheel pants and a 7KCAB Citabria.

Spend the bucks to put the powerline underground and you'll have a great RV field. The powerlines might make it a one way strip a lot of days.

Putting the power line underground sounds like a good idea. I'm out in the county. Only permit needed is for septic tank. I'm thinking about having my own little cemetery as well.

Last edited:
Local authorities

Putting the power line underground sounds like a good idea. I'm out in the county. Only permit needed is for septic tank. I'm thinking about having my own little cemetery as well.

Let us know if you really don?t have local bureaucrats telling what you can do. I might be moving to Kingsville if true.

Let us know if you really don?t have local bureaucrats telling what you can do. I might be moving to Kingsville if true.

He lives in Texas man! Ya do what you want on your property there. No planning commission approval needed. Not so much here in California...

Yep. Money solves problems.

The local planning commission was no problem. Half were old farts who used to fly back in the day. They said "Why'd you bring us out here to look at your farm? I'd 'a just landed here and not told anyone about it..."

Uh, because you made my next door neighbor permit his strip ten years ago. And because your county regs require it in great detail...

$8,000 in 1999 dollars made 450' of 2kV power line disappear underground, along with phone and cable fiber. Best money spent on the whole project.

Do this part! Bob Barrows of Bearhawk fame hit a power line on approach landing yesterday in Jacksonville, NC and is in the hospital as we speak. :(

I have mine here in Texas. As long as you're not in city limits the county doesn't care until you build the hangar then they'll tax it.

Regarding the FAA you have to inform them and fill out everything. Unless you're right under an airway or in the path of an IFR approach to an airport or something like that it'll be smooth sailing. Remember the FAA doesn't approve your runway, they don't care what you do on the ground, they are only interested in if you would be a hazard to other aviation assets currently in the area once you take off.

Biggest headache of airstrip living is the grass. I lived in a trailer on a friends airstrip in my 20s when I was single. I kept my 150 tied down for free IF I mowed the grass. It took two hours to mow and we used diesel and roundup to keep the edges and fence line clear. It was a never ending job, but the fondest memories I have are roling out of bed most mornings and go fly whenever I wanted to. Now I hangar at an air park and 8 or 10 guys roll up in a rig and are done in 30 minutes. Would I trade the mowing? Nope! Nothing better than the smell of freshly mowed St Augustine and 100LL on my preflight! :D

I forgot to add about mowing my 2500' runway. I have Coastal Bermuda on my runway (and the rest of the hay farm) and only mow it twice a month. With a 54" Husqvarna zero turn it takes me 2 hours. This last time my neighbor brought hers along and we did it all in about an hour. Just depends on the type of grass you choose.

The power line is very small serving a single house. It is pretty variable in Texas as far a permitting. Around cities it is probably more strict. If you are outside extra territorial jurisdiction of town and cities, usually 1 or 5 miles, about the only thing the county can require is septic tank permits. For a cemetery you much "notify" the state.

Neighbors can be an issue, both legally and for general peace of mind. A friend got pushback from one of his, and if adjacent landowners complain here it can affect rezoning (a good thing; it kept commercial development from moving in next to us). The friend decided that the runway was more important than his neighbor's good will, so he sold a strip between the runway site and his neighbor to his brother.

Tight Squeeze?

Stan.
First, thanks for your service. I built my RV4 in the shop of my late friend "AP", (retired Green Beret) located on his NW FL farm. His adjacent "runway" was 1180' from the trees to the edge of a soybean field. One way in, one way out.
When my RV4 was completed I made the initial test flight and sixteen subsequent adjustment flights from "API" as well as the RVX's initial test flight.

"AP" registered it with the FAA as a STOL runway which relieves the standard climb gradient requirements. You can also register it as an Ultralight runway, Restricted Runway or not at all, being private property. Also your option to list "Prior Permission Required" as well. Getting the power line buried takes a bit more paperwork and $$$ with the power company but is doable. You can get the line marked with "orange balls" for free in TX if it's registered. As far as care and feeding, I call it "zero turn therapy" a chance to get away from everything for a few hours and enjoy the freedom of having your own runway in a free country!
Additionally, a chat with your neighbors and associated free BBQ and beverages might help your cause and be money well spent. :)

https://aeronav.faa.gov/content/aeronav/Form7480_1.pdf
FAA Landing Area Proposal Form

With a 2200' length, you should have no problem with your RV3 or a lightly loaded Citabria. RV's can safely fly final at 60KIAS (and less) with practice.
No worries...

wells fargo bank near by me
A friend's RV3 down under on his private strip.

V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Bob Barrows

From Kathryns report: Bob was airlifted to Wilmington Hospital. Condition listed as fair. Pictures on Kathryns would suggest that it could have been much worse.
Bob has been involved in EAB Aircraft for over 50 years. Besides the three Bearhawks he built a MMI, original design STOL single seater called the Grasshopper, a two place original design biplane and a Pietenpol.

update

From Kathryns report: Bob was airlifted to Wilmington Hospital. Condition listed as fair. Pictures on Kathryns would suggest that it could have been much worse.
Bob has been involved in EAB Aircraft for over 50 years. Besides the three Bearhawks he built a MMI, original design STOL single seater called the Grasshopper, a two place original design biplane and a Pietenpol.

Thanks for the update and mentioning Kathryns Report.
Being from Central VA, I have met Bob on several occasions at flyins. Always a advocate for building and flying!
Hope he continues with a good recovery.

Once you get approval, you want to get it registered with the FAA ASAP.

Our airport was in the wrong place according to the FAA and Verizon put up a 198' tower off and to the right of the departure end of our runway one-five. Had the location been correct, they wouldn't have put it there.

Our HOA has since corrected our location and the tower really isn't an issue, thank goodness!

However, having a registered airport keeps towers, windmills, and power lines at bay.

...having a registered airport keeps towers, windmills, and power lines at bay.

Maybe in your state there might be laws or regulations regarding that but the FAA won't get involved if someone plants a telephone pole or a tower smack in the middle of your approach, even if the airport has been there 20 years.

I had a neighbor that wanted to do that just to make me mad and when I consulted the FAA they showed me the Advisory Circular where it clearly says they have no jurisdiction over that. The AC even goes further to suggest that you get some type of written agreement or deed restrictions with right of way or easement to protect your approach and departure area.

A Little Farm

Does your farm have a little barn or a lean to shelter for a tractor? I expect farm buildings in TX get an easier assessment than anything AC related or named.

Live your dream.

Maybe in your state there might be laws or regulations regarding that but the FAA won't get involved if someone plants a telephone pole or a tower smack in the middle of your approach, even if the airport has been there 20 years.

I had a neighbor that wanted to do that just to make me mad and when I consulted the FAA they showed me the Advisory Circular where it clearly says they have no jurisdiction over that. The AC even goes further to suggest that you get some type of written agreement or deed restrictions with right of way or easement to protect your approach and departure area.

A personal act is much different than a corporate act. Most companies do not wish to do anything that would land them in court. Say someone is giving a Young Eagles ride and hits a cell tower, Verizon doesn't want their name in the paper indicating that they ignored the local airport and put up a tower that caused the death of the local valedictorian, homecoming queen, all around loved child.

An A-hole neighbor is a completely different thing. (Ask Pierre about the approach to Pea Patch!)

Ag buildings in MS are definitely taxed at a lower rate. Mine will just hold more tractors than I own.

On obstructions: The FAA can't stop a tower, but they will 'advise' local authorities if proposed construction poses a clear danger to approaches (if you ask them to). And Bill's right about the corp stuff; several years ago there was a 600' cell tower proposed to be built directly in line with one of our approaches, about 3 miles away. Some of us went to the 'town hall' meeting conducted to gauge public acceptance (it was sited in a small town). We pointed out that it was directly in line with an approach to the runway. Don't know if we were the sole reason it wasn't sited there, but it never hurts to make your voice heard.

Charlie

On obstructions: The FAA can't stop a tower, but they will 'advise' local authorities if proposed construction poses a clear danger to approaches (if you ask them to).

Been there, done that. If appropriate, the FAA will issue a "Hazard to Navigation" document, then you're on your own. The airport sponsor is expected to take local action, in court or otherwise.

FAA is easy. Different states, counties, and cities have their own rules that vary from non-existant to strict.

They call this an "avigation easement". If you can get your neighbors to sign off on one, it prevents future encroachments, even if your neighbors sell to someone. It gets bound to the property. The neighborhood BBQ proposed early in this thread may help get that done too.

I live in Texas and have a 2,000 foot dirt strip. I was concerned about cell phone towers cropping up in the area so I registered my strip with the FAA as a private airport and got an identfier. Now I am on the Sectional. I didn't talk to any locals whatsoever. Just filled out the FAA paperwork. I was contacted recently by a high school 2 miles away requesting permission to fly drones over their property for a class (no problem since they are far enough away for me). My airport designation and associated contact info triggered that so being bonafied has its protective benefits.

Jim

Back