What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removable Windshield Fairing

50Pesos

I’d like to make a removable windshield fairing that doesn’t have to be cut off like the plans call for. Has anyone accomplished this? If so Hire did you attach the fairing? Thanks

Fairing

I used an aluminum fairing. It was made by a vendor that has discontinued making it. It could be installed with screws and nut plates or rivets. I opted for rivets. Looks nice and works good…

Sika

I’d like to make a removable windshield fairing that doesn’t have to be cut off like the plans call for. Has anyone accomplished this? If so Hire did you attach the fairing? Thanks

Semi removable. Mine is bonded with Sika. Technically removable like taking the windshield off a car. Cut the Sika with a guitar string.
Process is the same as bonding the canopy. Clamp it.

Aluminum two piece fairing attached with screws into nutplates. Still a little finessing to do to get the fit better and I will probably make gaskets top and bottom on the fairing to prevent water intrusion.

I made one

There were some how-to instructions on this out there new once upon a time.

Here's what I recall... approximate....
Obtain a 2x8, about 3' long.
Find and mark center of the windshield.
make a cardstock template of the windshield curvature ... PERPENDICULAR to the windshield at the lower part of the windshield.
Mark center on the template. The template can be a bit longer than half of the windshield. Easier to make in two parts.
Transfer the arc on the template to your 2x8 lumber.
Cut with bandsaw the 2x8, giving you a male and female mold.
Use non hard aluminum, such as 1100.
Determine how much to cut to fit the cowling curve, and cut until lower edge matches that curve
Clamp the aluminum into the 2x8. Not it has a curve that matches the windshield.
Using a roller bend tool, start rolling the flare into the aluminum... zero flare at the side, more flare in the middle.

Make the parts at least twice learning the process!
Thinner aluminum will be less frustrating.

Aluminum two piece fairing attached with screws into nutplates. Still a little finessing to do to get the fit better and I will probably make gaskets top and bottom on the fairing to prevent water intrusion.

Did you procure this from the vendor before they discontinued or did you roll your own?

Did you procure this from the vendor before they discontinued or did you roll your own?

We did our own. I know a very skilled sheet metal “artist” and we worked on this together. Given that every windshield installation is a little different, I don’t know how a pre-made fairing would fit properly.

I’m pretty happy overall with the outcome. Since we used Sika on all the windows and won’t fiberglass over any of them - removal should be less destructive if it’s ever necessary.

I did exact same thing on my RV-6A. Aluminum strip, English wheel, stretcher, shrinker, and some hand finesse. Mine looks great and easily removable.

If you look around you can find several examples of removable fairings made of carbon and or fiberglass. They look nice. Wish the kits came with them.

Removable windshield trim

I have looked and haven't seen any in-production. If you have leads I'd love to look at them
Unlikely. Every windshield is cut slightly different so trim is also different. It's not difficult. Just a layup. If you want carbon fiber, use black tint in the epoxy for all but the last layer. Use a layer of carbon fiber for the last layer.
Bond it with Sika. Removing is just like an auto windshield.
Plus you can layup so the canopy trim slips under nice and tight.
20200408_114456.jpg

Last edited:
Saw this on a rocket.

Attachments

• FDEE88F8-1794-4C71-8EDB-B7ADEA605CC8.jpg
    FDEE88F8-1794-4C71-8EDB-B7ADEA605CC8.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 95
Back