What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best builder reference material

Foam-the-runway

Hello...I recently received my RV-10 EMP kit. It's presently sitting in my hangar until I can repurchase $1500.00 worth of new tools that were stolen. Also decided to move kit to my garage and build at home. All of my hangar neighbors that have built RV's say that, that increases the chance of success. Since I'm 45minsaway I consider that excellent advice.
I'm mechanically inclined but have never taken on a project this intense. Did the airfoil kit and toolbox with great success but still a lil bit nervous about building my own aircraft.
Can someone recommend good builders reference material to supplement my builders plans? If there's a post already in existence please direct me to it.
Thanks in advance.

The best builder's reference is a buddy who lives 5 minutes away and has an evening or three free every week to help you get started and to help push you forward when you get snagged on something.

There are lots of RV's and builders in the Houston area. Reach out to some of them.

Mentor

The best builder's reference is a buddy who lives 5 minutes away and has an evening or three free every week to help you get started and to help push you forward when you get snagged on something.

There are lots of RV's and builders in the Houston area. Reach out to some of them.

I agree. A skilled Mentor will help build on good techniques and help avoid mistakes.
A few resources
1. 43.13
2. Section 5
3. VAF. Search for the component you're building by part numbers. Look for issues from other builders.

I also suggest in addition to the previous posters to look at the many build logs online. They are generally organized by section and will help a lot on mapping out your next steps as well as getting you thinking ahead of the decisions you will have to make.

There are lots and lots of videos now on YouTube that you can search. When I started, that wasn't a resource. I read every build log online I could find, and put up lots and lots of my own build photos in my own build log.

As others have said, find a mentor, join the local EAA chapter and don't be afraid to reach out to other builders here on VAF. I get lots of private messages and I'm happy to answer them. Also, really read the plans (including chapter 5) and don't cut/drill anything until you really understand what you need to do. Basic tool use and technique is where a good builder friend can get you up and running. AC43.13 is more about acceptable methods for repairs and alterations, but it does have a wealth of knowledge. I've had to really read it through in my A&P classes. I never looked at it during my build! There are other free FAA publications that have much more information (the 8083-30/31/32 Aviation Maintenance Handbooks) about general topics like materials and hardware.

You'll do fine with the build if you just do a little bit each day. You can't learn it all before you begin!

All excellent advice!...I guess I'm on the right track because I've been tapping into all the above mentioned.
One of my hangar neighbors built a beautiful RV-8. He sold that and built an equally beautiful RV-14. He's been giving me tips prior to my kit arriving and has offered his assistance if needed.
I read section 5 and found it quite interesting. Lots of information to digest so I'll have to revisit it periodically.
YouTube and the builders links have been outstanding! I especially appreciate when they go into detail about the mistakes they made. I can't thank them enough. Building and doing video production on top of that is...WHEW!!!
If you guys think those are sufficient enough, I'll continue as you've advised.
Thanks...

27 years of Rvator

Vans regular newsletters sent out until 2006 when their facebook page took over. Getting a little out of date now but still plenty of great articles and information. I found this to be the source of much "tribal knowledge" that many experienced builders just seem to know. Available as an ebook here:

https://www.actechbooks.com/2001-DISC-E.html

Vans still sell it as a CD :eek: here:

https://store.vansaircraft.com/27-y...-2006-on-compact-disc-cd-rvator-27-years.html

I'll also second section 5. I know it sounds obvious but it is amazing how many questions people post on this site can be answered in section 5. Read it. Then read it again. Then in a couple of months read it again. and so on.

Vans regular newsletters sent out until 2006 when their facebook page took over. Getting a little out of date now but still plenty of great articles and information. I found this to be the source of much "tribal knowledge" that many experienced builders just seem to know. Available as an ebook here:

https://www.actechbooks.com/2001-DISC-E.html

Vans still sell it as a CD :eek: here:

https://store.vansaircraft.com/27-y...-2006-on-compact-disc-cd-rvator-27-years.html

I'll also second section 5. I know it sounds obvious but it is amazing how many questions people post on this site can be answered in section 5. Read it. Then read it again. Then in a couple of months read it again. and so on.

Your absolutely right! I had the preplans before my kit arrived. I actually have revisted section 5 several times in an attempt to try and get as much as possible to stick...lol

So much info out there on line these days. Key is to know how to find it.

One thing I've found that helps is that when you come across an instruction in your builder's manual that you don't understand or doesn't make sense, literally type the instruction as written into Google and you'll be surprised what comes up!

I had no prior experience. I read and followed the following:
- VAF,
- all Van's models of Facebook Groups, great place to post a question and get an answer within minutes.
- as mentioned builders logs, I found some very good ones of various models and followed them. The good ones have very good detailed step by step instructions. Often very unique solutions to challenging steps.
- Lycoming website & FB page
- Avionics website & FB page
- Local builders

Found that a lot of the construction methods are not aircraft specific so if you search different models it opens up a lot more info.

Hello...I recently received my RV-10 EMP kit. It's presently sitting in my hangar until I can repurchase $1500.00 worth of new tools that were stolen. Also decided to move kit to my garage and build at home. All of my hangar neighbors that have built RV's say that, that increases the chance of success. Since I'm 45minsaway I consider that excellent advice.
I'm mechanically inclined but have never taken on a project this intense. Did the airfoil kit and toolbox with great success but still a lil bit nervous about building my own aircraft.
Can someone recommend good builders reference material to supplement my builders plans? If there's a post already in existence please direct me to it.
Thanks in advance.

Join the local EAA chapter if you haven't already. There will be lots of RV builders there who will be willing to teach you. Thats what I did. I got lots of good information I did not even know to ask about. Got an Outstanding Workmanship award at Airventure and Sun"N"Fun. That would never have happened without some help from my new friends.

....One of my hangar neighbors built a beautiful RV-8. He sold that and built an equally beautiful RV-14. He's been giving me tips prior to my kit arriving and has offered his assistance if needed.

This.

This is the most important resource. The other things, especially the things Wirejock and RV8JD recommended are nearly as important.

Dave

This.

This is the most important resource. The other things, especially the things Wirejock and RV8JD recommended are nearly as important.

Dave

Second that , For sure the best resource to have , very valuable to have some experience in your corner .

So much info out there on line these days. Key is to know how to find it.

One thing I've found that helps is that when you come across an instruction in your builder's manual that you don't understand or doesn't make sense, literally type the instruction as written into Google and you'll be surprised what comes up!

Also,

Code:
<part number> site:vansairforce.net

In the google search bar is often useful.

Back