What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Microlon one time additive

Busch says "no."

https://resources.savvyaviation.com/wp-content/uploads/articles_eaa/EAA_2011-02_slippery-stuff.pdf

Mike Busch said:
Some aftermarket oil additives—notably Microlon and Slick 50contain a slippery resin called PTFE, which is made and marketed by DuPont under the trade name Teflon. The Microlon and Slick 50 folks claim that the stuff bonds with metal surfaces in your engine and virtually eliminates friction. This is bunk. Manufacturers of nonstick cookware will tell you just how difficult it is to get Teflon to bond to anything. Users of nonstick cookware will tell you just how easy it is to ruin Teflon coating because it’s so fragile. NASA did a study of Teflon oil additives a while back and concluded that they are ineffective as a friction reducer, and they can actually damage an engine by clogging oil filters and tiny oil passages in hydraulic lifters. DuPont specifically warns against using Teflon in internal combustion engines. Nevertheless, the promoters of Microlon somehow convinced the FAA to approve its use in aircraft engines. My advice: Just say no.

PT Barnum says “YES”, absolutely…buy it. And buy every other engine additive you see as long as it’s advertised on any NASCAR car or Reno race plane.:D

Attachments

• 02945AE5-F25A-49BF-970A-2EC22A266E06.jpeg
    02945AE5-F25A-49BF-970A-2EC22A266E06.jpeg
    168.7 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
I already popped the corn.
But, I will spend my money on new oil. Cause I'm 71 years old and been pushing wrenches since I was 13. Seen all the hype and jive of additives, quick fixes, etc.
My luck is better than yours.
Art

Well since I got more responses about popcorn than Microlon, looks like I will pass on the Microlon and just eat some popcorn. Thanks all…..

Sounds like those old Teflon additives they (used to?) sell in the automotive aftermarket.
I used to know a Used Car Sales Manager that loved this stuff, he would dump a can of the stuff into old noisy clunkers to quiet them down, he didn't care if it lasted any longer than a couple hundred miles...
We tried a couple cans in our old parts delivery trucks to test its longivity effects, yep, 200 miles & they were back to their old clunky selves.

Is it worth 300 dollars (cost for IO 540). Thanks…….

Hey togaflyer, sincerely hope this thread’s gonna be more fruitful than it is right now… just so I can finish this popcorn stash I‘m now sitting on :D

Re your query, I think not. Most of those miracle additives, starting last century for horses and Model T Ford were, well, wishful thinking.
Abide to the engine‘s manufacturer recommendations, +/-. Once you‘ve flown with exactly the as recommended fuel, probably100LL for you, with no anything additive, for say 1K+ hours, please report here, with your findings :)
Engine manufacturers are riding on a two sided edged sword: longevity and profitability… so they are basically not to be referenced at.
Unforttunately most RVers here fly too little to have any conclusive experience…

PS not in any relationship to the thread, others just skip, thanks :)
Hey you red nosed Eric & Mickey, is that the same airplane, or not? Santa Claus is still a few weeks away, not?

Last edited:
So for 99.99 dollars, if you act today, you will see an increase of your speed up to 25 knots, cut your fuel burn in half, never need to overhaul your engine, your spouse will never argue with you, your children will never say I know that to you, the sky will always be blue when your flying, but act know because this is a very very very limited offer………

Water carburetor

I'm saving my money for one of those carburetors that makes the engine run on water! :D
Sorry, I'm that old.

Worked for me

I put some Teflon type stuff in an old Ducati (dry clutch) with a gearbox full of missed gears and false neutrals, generally unpleasant to ride. Difference was dramatic and it now changes gears like a Honda and I can now get the proper neutral without switching it off... I don't ride it often though so it should take a while to clock up 200 miles.

Russell

Harmful

I know first hand that using Teflon additives will lead to early engine failure. 98 f150, tried the Teflon additive. Engine failed around 130,000 miles iirc. Rebuilder noted all small oil galleys clogged with Teflon.

Really?

I'm saving my money for one of those carburetors that makes the engine run on water! :D
Sorry, I'm that old.

Ooooo...! I remember those!!

I put one of those magnets on the fuel line that realigns the fuel molecules so they flow parallel and am now only using 3.5gph.....:D:D:D:D:D

Mine’s coming soon

I’ve preordered the aviator’s flux capacitor. With only half down, delivery was promised soon..

AVBLEND

Been using AVBLEND …..about 40 years ( long before it was called AVBLEND) …..I intend to continue…but I steer clear of all other oil additives EXCEPT CAMGUARD …..I add them both every oil change

Nothing beats Flyguard.

Not available in any stores. But what is it? It’s called flying your bird 30 minutes once a week if you aren’t traveling.

My bonanza went 700 hours past TBO with compressions still in the 70’s on nickel cylinders. Accessories were starting to show signs of age such as the prop governor. The support staff (wife) was getting nervous so I replaced the engine and prop. Turns out the prop was past specs to overhaul.

Oil used was Phillips XC and no additives were used. Oil changed 3 times per 100 hours.

And I live in the deep south with high humidity.

Flyguard…..I swear by it.

Last edited:
FlyGuard......

Nothing beats Flyguard.
Not available in any stores. But what is it? It’s called flying your bird 30 minutes once a week if you aren’t traveling.
Flyguard…..I swear by it.

Here here! I use FlyGuard as much as possible! Can't use too much of that! Engines like to be RUN!

"Microlon Engine Treatment (for standard engines) and Microlon CL-100 (for high performance engines) reduce friction inside the engine which increases performance, gives better fuel economy and lowers maintenance costs."

Sounds too good to be true or marketing sales pitch, unless there is bona-fide engineering test data to support Microlon's claim.

Sounds too good to be true or marketing sales pitch, unless there is bona-fide engineering test data to support Microlon's claim.

This can be said of almost every single gasoline or oil additive of the last 60 years, when Andy Granatelli was able to convince the public that STP was magic.

"Microlon Engine Treatment (for standard engines) and Microlon CL-100 (for high performance engines) reduce friction inside the engine which increases performance, gives better fuel economy and lowers maintenance costs."

Didn’t say compared to what, did they?

Including Camguard?

-Marc
Great question. I don’t know the answer… I would have to review Mike Busch’ opinions at Savvy to understand why he likes it so much. From my standpoint, I haven’t seen any bona-fide engineering test data to be able to say that it lives up to its hype.

Great question. I don’t know the answer… I would have to review Mike Busch’ opinions at Savvy to understand why he likes it so much. From my standpoint, I haven’t seen any bona-fide engineering test data to be able to say that it lives up to its hype.

I believe, though it's been a while since I watched his talk about it, that he is a fan of Camguard for engines that don't get run regularly. If you fly once a week or more often, there is no point.

Back