What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADAHRS location in the wing

AltonD

Well Known Member
Anybody mount their ADAHRS in the wing? If so, how did you do it and are you getting good results? I a, on my 4th location behind the baggage bulkhead with bad results. Even tried the Van’s bracket that mounts it up high.

What kind of bad results do you see?

I mounted the ADAHR at the rear battery location on my RV8. Because it is close the all the steel control rod ends, I also have a magnetometer mounted at the wingtip.

My ADAHRS is also the magnetometer. Zero out the heading, make a 90° turn, it’s off 30°.
My G5 is dead on. The magnetometer for it is in the wing tip. I’d put the ADAHRS there but it would be overly sensitive in bank.

12 years ago, the magnetometer was under the vertical stabilizer. That worked great. Then the upgrade. The new unit now included the magnetometer and ADAHRS together. Under the Vert. stabilizer, it was overly sensitive in pitch.
I moved it directly behind the baggage bulkhead. That worked great till I went to Oshkosh and packed the baggage compartment full with the tow bar on top.
Next, I used the Van’s mount with current results. Today, moved it down to the longeron level, directly below the Van’s mount. Same results. My guess is the seatbelt cables are throwing it off now.

I installed my SV-ADAHRS200 behind the baggage bulkhead in the recommended OP-6 bracket. Works great, but during calibration of the magnetometer, I learned how much an open vs closed canopy affects the magnetometer calibration step. Since then....no issues

I installed my SV-ADAHRS200 behind the baggage bulkhead in the recommended OP-6 bracket. Works great, but during calibration of the magnetometer, I learned how much an open vs closed canopy affects the magnetometer calibration step. Since then....no issues

You know, I had not thought about re-running the calibration procedure since relocating the magnetometer.
Thanks, I’ll give that a shot tomorrow.

You know, I had not thought about re-running the calibration procedure since relocating the magnetometer.
Thanks, I’ll give that a shot tomorrow.

When you head out to your airport's compass rose, do the calibration with the canopy closed and ma8ybe with the engine running. Ask me how I know....

Slider, I can see where that would have a huge impact. I have a tip-up, but will run the cal with the canopy closed.

Back