What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving to Oceanside, CA (RV-8)

Pedropilot

I'm New Here
PCS'ing to Camp Pendleton next summer with an RV-8 build (Emp complete, wings complete, fuselage 50%) should have fuselage mostly done by the move. Running into hanger space issues however, anyone have any leads on hangers or spaces? Worse case I was thinking getting storage space as a workshop or finish in the garage then use a tie down.

Thanks!

Jaron

Jaron,

I used to live in that general area. I don't have any confirmed info, but I was thinking that Fallbrook is close to Oceanside. I did a quick check and...

http://www.l18airpark.com/

Good luck in your search. It can be quite difficult sometimes finding open hangars.

You have to look at airports that will allow you to fly your phase 1. There are a couple of airport in the Temecula area over the hill to the east. The driving distance is long however.

You have to look at airports that will allow you to fly your phase 1. There are a couple of airport in the Temecula area over the hill to the east. The driving distance is long however.

Check out Fallbrook (L18) and Ramona (RNM)

So, are you intending to fly phase 1 out of Oceanside?

Been there...
FAA would not approve using Oceanside as a location for phase 1. We got a one-time allowance to fly it out (on first flight). Not ideal. As of that time we could base out of Ramona or French Valley. I'm at Fallbrook, I like it, but I wouldn't recommend it for phase 1 (assuming it is even allowed) due to runway length.

Called up fallbrook and got on the waiting list for a hanger. Im at least a year out from test flights just based on engine delivery timelines. Havent started looking at phase 1 flights yet. As of last week i was planning on staying in Georgia for 3 years so just started to rework gameplans!

Jaron,

I've got a good buddy (F-18 bubba) out at Oceanside with an RV-8 and he's got a friend out there with a 6 who built his there. Probably a good contact if you're interested DM me.

Cheers

Wingnut

Back