What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

This is why we practice

gotyoke

Well Known Member
My first time priming today. S/W P60G2 at 1.75:1. Check out these speckles. Google says air pressure was too low to atomize. Can anyone else confirm?

AEECA2B0-531F-405A-8FE5-69A7B0E048EC.jpeg

Good thing it's a practice project. I *think* it got better after I upped the air pressure, but it's hard to tell over the existing speckles, and I didn't want to waste too much on the butcher paper cause I didn't mix much.

Just me

It appears to be laid down too heavy.
Wait 3 days and see what it looks like; I bet it is all even once it has "aged"

I have had a similar appearance when just sprayed; but came out fine once it aged.
As long as it is not flaking, I think it is usable.

definitely useable

It's useable.

I found that using a bit more reducer helped. I also found that the first spray gun I was using, the nozzle was too big. I went to a smaller gun with a smaller nozzle and that helped, too.

The thing I didn't know in the beginning is the air pressure quoted in the paint specs is with the trigger pulled. If you haven't looked up the air pressure the MFG says to use you should do that.

The thing I didn't know in the beginning is the air pressure quoted in the paint specs is with the trigger pulled. If you haven't looked up the air pressure the MFG says to use you should do that.

Ah, I didn't know that either. In that case I'm sure it was initially too low.

It's useable.

I found that using a bit more reducer helped. I also found that the first spray gun I was using, the nozzle was too big. I went to a smaller gun with a smaller nozzle and that helped, too.

Yep reducer/thinner appropriate to the paint helps with viscosity, pressure will give better atomization. I spray cardboard as a test, adjust volume, pattern, and pressure with a regulator on the gun. Just remember aluminum wont soak the paint. :rolleyes:

Do mix, pour into gun via final filter, watch "induction" time as TDS states, and temperature.

You will get it.

P60G2

It looks like too much paint and too low pressure. It will also do that the paint is cured. Use it s soon as possible and clear the gun.
Mix 2:1
Full pressure to the gun regulator.
No flow restrictor. Use a good regulator.
Set the pressure with a regulator at the gun. HVLP is about 22 psi
Start at 1 turn out on the flow screw
1.3 tip if possible
Spray one light coat in one direction. Repeat at 90 degrees.
Barely any change in color.

You can put just plain old water in the gun and play around with the controls.
There are just 3 things to adjust on the gun - the flow of the air, the flow of the material, and the spray pattern. As others have said, have a regulator on the gun with a gauge and set the inlet pressure from there.
Lots of good YouTube videos out there to get you comfortable with the adjustments. Once you get them figured out, then add the primer and shoot some on a piece of cardboard or scraps.

Back