What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-7 & -9 fuse penetration location for wing conduit

Captain_John

Well Known Member
Hey all,

I have been trying to cover all my bases before I take my fuse apart for deburring and dimpling and would like to make this whole shebang work smoothly with as much foresight as possible.

I chose to use Electrical Nonmetallic Tubing as my conduit of choice for ease of wire pulling. I left about a foot hanging out of the wing and my plans are to enter the fuse DIRECTLY without an offset from the standard Vans location in the wing root (bottom or the rib, 7" back from the main spar).

This will allow me to silicone around the fuse penetration and seal the drafts up nicely when the wings are on for good.

fuse penetration.jpg

(Dan, thanks for the pic!)

QUESTIONS:

1) Is anything in the way under the seat that would preclude me from entering the fuse here?

2) Do you see anything inherently wrong with this idea?

Bill Repucci says there is too much going on when you are fitting the wings and this would be just a whole other thing that complicates the process.

I figure that this will allow me to run the wires more easily, as they can be run later, after the wings are installed. (my conduit is DESIGNED for pulling wires in after it is installed, unlike Vans').

I am thinking of just stubbing the conduit into the fuse about an inch or so.

I don't understand why Van locates his penetration under the aileron pushrod. This method just seems easier to me. I figure that I must be overlooking something?

Anyone?

:confused: CJ

Fuse to wing hole is fine, but you should route them toward the top aft side of the spar (Dan's location) ASAP to run above the bellcrank and not across the aileron pushrod access hole. You will appreciate clear access. Also, high behind the spar is easy to see. Low behind the hole not so.

Your wingtips removable? Otherwise, add the pushrod to the installation goings on.

Fab a clamp ring and locate screw holes/nutplates for the pushrod boot now, before installing the wing.

John Siebold
Boise, ID

RV7ator said:
Fuse to wing hole is fine, but you should route them toward the top aft side of the spar (Dan's location) ASAP to run above the bellcrank and not across the aileron pushrod access hole. You will appreciate clear access. Also, high behind the spar is easy to see. Low behind the hole not so.

John, could you rephrase this? I don't get what you mean.

I want to shoot directly into the fuse from the wing. That wouldn't be anywhere near the ail pushrod hole.

I do plan on removable tips.

...and my aileron boots/rings are already fabbed with platenuts.

:) CJ

PLEASE DO NOT COPY MY SETUP.

Low and aft.

Your proposed location is PERFECT.

Hello

Old thread slightly different question from my side. No matter where you drill the hole for wiring. You will be going through 2 skins in one. How do you deburr where you have drilled when drilling through the two skins?? Or should this have been drilled earlier?

Regards
Pieter

Hello

Old thread slightly different question from my side. No matter where you drill the hole for wiring. You will be going through 2 skins in one. How do you deburr where you have drilled when drilling through the two skins?? Or should this have been drilled earlier?

Regards
Pieter

Scotchbrite wheel on a Dremel tool.

Back