What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-360 Heat Muff Question

Craw

Good Afternoon All,
I'm currently planning on installing an IO-360-A1B6 in my RV-7A and would like to install two heat muffs. I'm wondering if anyone has already installed this configuration and has any pictures or gotchas to share based on experience.

The ideal scenario for me would be a vetterman 2-1 exhaust and 1 heat muff each side, however, I don't know if enough room exists to support this setup.

The winters in Canada are pretty cold so I think two heat muffs are a must for me (already going with heated seats).

Cheers,

I have this setup with two heat muff run in series. I'm happy with the temp of the heat output, but the volume is a bit anemic.

When you say "run in series" do you mean the output of the first heat muff flows into the input of the second heat muff and then into the cabin? If you have a picture of the firewall forward config I would love to see it.

Thanks again for your feedback

The "In series" is an electrical term but yes that would mean the output of one running to the input of the second.

I believe you should be fine with this configuration. You should reach out to Vetterman to confirm though. They seem to have a pretty good handle on all the different engine configurations and exhaust systems that work with them.

that's exactly what I meant by "in series." There's plenty of room to route the hoses around.

I also went with heated seats and love them!

Last edited:
Also run 2 in series

Two in series with six rows of “fins”…about as good as it gets:)

Attachments

• F4AC302F-D4D1-4362-B4FB-B40A63123978.jpeg
    F4AC302F-D4D1-4362-B4FB-B40A63123978.jpeg
    445.5 KB · Views: 334
  • 8B8A901E-ABA6-4758-8D43-621D1048B415.jpeg
    8B8A901E-ABA6-4758-8D43-621D1048B415.jpeg
    453.3 KB · Views: 443
Darin,

Where did you come up with the fins? I have a -7 with the Vetterman exhaust. Not quit as cold as you, but still gets chilly down south here in Minnesota. Seems like might be a great idea to add to mine while I'm still in the installation process.

would mind sharing the plans?

Thanks

Will look for plans

I will have to dig for the plans, having the laser cut pieces were fairly in expensive.

I know the photo shows 7 rows as I was playing around with the volume vs temperature trade offs and ended with 6 per muff.

Tony Bingelis

I believe the Tony Bingelis books suggest putting stainless steel scrubbing pad in the heat muff to generate more heat.

I used 2 of these in line and they work well. Certainly better than my few custom attempts over a couple of years. The restrictors allow you to vary air flow to find what works for your setup.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/turboheat05-15249.php

I have one standard heatmuff from Vans and one Turbo Heat in series. The welds on the turbo heat failed after about 2 years, and the guy who makes them (Dave Edwards in Nevada at [email protected]) was very helpful at making the necessary repairs at no cost.

Some people stuff metal kitchen "scruffy pads" in the heat muffs to facilitate heat transfer, but I really like the metal tabs in one of the previous posts. My configuration is acceptable and adding the turbo heat helped, but I could definately use more.

Good Afternoon All,
I'm currently planning on installing an IO-360-A1B6 in my RV-7A and would like to install two heat muffs. I'm wondering if anyone has already installed this configuration and has any pictures or gotchas to share based on experience.

The ideal scenario for me would be a vetterman 2-1 exhaust and 1 heat muff each side, however, I don't know if enough room exists to support this setup.

The winters in Canada are pretty cold so I think two heat muffs are a must for me (already going with heated seats).

Cheers,

I have heated seats and 2 heat muffs in my 7. It is tight for muffs but does fit. When you install the muffs hook them up in series, as has been mentioned, but also with reverse flow...meaning put the inlet at the back and the outlet closest to the cylinder, as it is the hotter end. I also wrapped the muff with 2" wide Titanium Muffler Wrap from Amaz..... It was -16C the other day and still comfortable. I would suggest a defrost fan or 2 as well. I put in 1 and wish I had done 2. The canopy sometimes fogs up a bit till I get going and get some heat in the plane. The heated seats are great, especially if you have memory foam, which is rock hard when cold.

Back