What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Sending Unit - IO360

jetempleton

I'm New Here
The oil temperature in my RV7 never gets above 130 degrees. So my A&P and I heated some oil in a pan and measured it with a thermometer. My sender won't register above 140, even when the oil was well above 200. We suspect the sender is bad. Can I get some help in identifying it and a source. Perhaps Advanced Flight Systems provides it?

Also, we fabricated a oil cooler door.

Hope the image links work.

view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S_UsTV5SJ7JKdY4mPsp8BzZsnvkhTqkm/view?usp=sharing

The oil temperature in my RV7 never gets above 130 degrees. So my A&P and I heated some oil in a pan and measured it with a thermometer. My sender won't register above 140, even when the oil was well above 200. We suspect the sender is bad. Can I get some help in identifying it and a source. Perhaps Advanced Flight Systems provides it?

Also, we fabricated a oil cooler door.

Hope the image links work.

view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S_UsTV5SJ7JKdY4mPsp8BzZsnvkhTqkm/view?usp=sharing

It could be a setup issue in your EFIS. You might have the wrong sender specified or the upper limit of the instrument set incorrectly. Another possibility is that the sender is not getting good ground back through the engine to the EFIS.

Ed Holyoke

Thanks for the ideas Ed. There is a thread in the AFS forum from August 2011 describing the exact problem. That owner too tried a oil bath/thermometer correlation study and also could not get a reading above 140 degrees. Advance does say you need a good ground - the mounting bolts of the adapter to the engine block are not adequate because of the gasket between the two. So I'll try that. Also will order a new sender from Advanced.

Add a ground wire

That is a single wire sender. You need to add a ground wire between the engine block and younger sensing device when installed on the engine. When testing in the oil bath you need a temporary ground wire between the sender and your sensing device (efis).

Regards Pieter

Back