What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-01405B double-flush

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
The plans call to rivet the two halves of the F-01405B bulk head bar together using double flush rivet. I installed the first rivet using the length called out in the plans and the rivet is too long. It is not flush on the shop head side.

It looks like the next shorter rivet will not have a very big shop head.

What did you do? Is a slightly proud rivet head ok on one side?

Michael

If the countersunk area is filled just hit it with a dremel sander and knock it down a bit till it's level. You could try cutting the rivet a bit too.

Yes the countersunk area is full. I’m not sure I want to use a dremel sander. It seems tough to sand flush without sanding the bar.

Did you actually do this or are you just suggesting it without having tried it?

Have you read the instructions in the front of the installation manual? There is a chapter on setting rivets. Within that chapter is a section on setting double flush rivets. It discusses the fact that the shop head is not going to completely fill the rivet hole. If you have not read that part of the manual you might want to check it out.

rivet shaver in micro cage

That sounds like a solution. I don't have one, but will get one.

I am curious though, if other 14 builders had the same problem. I can't quite see from the plans why the fwd side of the bulkhead bar needs these rivets to be perfectly flush.

Michael-

Read that section

I have read that section many times and successfully built both my 9 and 14 control surfaces that have double flush rivets. And yes in those cases the countersinks are not filled.

This case is a little different. First off the rivets are 4s instead of 3s. And my problem is not that the countersunk wells are only partially filed, when the shop head is flush, but that the countersink is full before the shop head is flush.

You might be suggesting that I should use a shorter rivet than is called out in the plans. I’m hesitant to do that because the bulk head bar is a critical part of the fuselage/wing attachment structure.

I was really hoping to hear from other 14 builders and hear how they dealt with this. I think this is unique to the 14.

Thanks Michael

My guess is that the forward side - the side that doesn't contact other parts - would be OK with proud rivets. I assume van's did the double flush because the part can fit either way? It lives under the baggage floor so I can't imagine any issue as long as the side in contact with F-014015A is flush. These rivets are between bolts that stick up much more. I would also guess that little strength would be lost if you used smaller rivets since the part is bolted with 4 AN-5s to the structure - hard to see how those two rivets are doing a lot strength-wise compared to that....

Last edited:
The plans call to rivet the two halves of the F-01405B bulk head bar together using double flush rivet. I installed the first rivet using the length called out in the plans and the rivet is too long. It is not flush on the shop head side.

It looks like the next shorter rivet will not have a very big shop head.

What did you do? Is a slightly proud rivet head ok on one side?
I just ran into the same problem and ended up with two rivets that are not flush. The AD4-6 is too long. What I did for the last two bulkhead bars was shave down -6 rivets to size 5.5. Those fit just right.

I know this is an old post but can you confirm if leaving proud rivets on the forward side of these bulkhead bars is OK as mentioned in post #9.

I just ran into the same problem and ended up with two rivets that are not flush. The AD4-6 is too long. What I did for the last two bulkhead bars was shave down -6 rivets to size 5.5. Those fit just right.

I know this is an old post but can you confirm if leaving proud rivets on the forward side of these bulkhead bars is OK as mentioned in post #9.

it is no problem, if slightly proud on the forward side. They are double flush because you have to install them later by sliding them through a slot in the side skins And floor ribs. But the slot has enough leaway.

it is no problem, if slightly proud on the forward side. They are double flush because you have to install them later by sliding them through a slot in the side skins And floor ribs. But the slot has enough leaway.
Thanks for the reply Michael. Very helpful. I was about to buy a rivet shaver.

Back