What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shop length for the big join

georgemohr

Well Known Member
Hi team!

Can someone tell me how much length we need in our shop in order to perform the tailcone to fuse join? A figure with or without the engine mount would work for me.

If someone is at this step, could you bust out a tape measure and give me a working number?

TY!
George

I pulled out a virtual tape measure and scaled it off the 3 view drawing using Screen Calipers (very handy for measuring off drawings, Google to find it)

Edit: The inch values are correct but I rechecked my conversion to feet and inches and found I was off a bit. Should be 14 ft. 8 in. and 17 ft. 6 in.

RV-14 length measurement.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Art! I do expect however that more length will be needed to join the two components before they are one, dont you think?

Of course, but you can take this data and compare it to the space you have available. I would think you need at least a couple of feet more wiggle room to move around the fuselage when joining.

My garage is about 19 and a half feet long. Scaling off of that drawing I figured I could fit the fuse with engine in that space. Couldn’t put the prop or spinner on it though.

I just used one bay in the double garage. Did not have go at an angle for the join. I did need to go a little angle once I installed the engine and prop.

Back