What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control Column Assembly Torque

SteveO

Question for anyone: I assembled the RV-14 control column assembly today with the bolts, washers and needed shims. I torqued the left side AN3 bolt to 28 inch lbs and the assembly continued to move freely. When I torqued the right side to 28 inch lbs the assembly became stiff and stuck in whatever position I left it in. Therefore, I removed a shim on that side, re-torqued, and continue to have the same problem. Next move was to back off the torque 1 inch lb at a time. I’m at 24 inch lbs with free movement. Does anyone know if this is acceptable w/ the AN3 bolt I’m using and the MS21042-3 lock nut?

Thank you…steve

Keep trying different combinations of washers... I found with my 7 I needed one extra than what seemed “ideal” to allow it to move freely. You’ll get there, takes patience but you will be able to get the right torque eventually and still have it free and easy. 😎

I'm working on this step right now.. is there any secret to getting the washers and shims lined up? i spent 45 minutes getting them in the first time to realize i needed a shim.. 45 min later, i still dont have that shim in.

Here's a good tip that was posted on VAF (by Steve Smith I think). Cut a piece of 3/16 wooden dowl the exact length of the gap in the control fork. Put the bearing and washers and shim on the dowel. Slide the dowel into the fork and hold it there while pushing the bolt in from the side to displace the dowel and take its place.

Back