What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6A Rudder replaced w thicker skin

HotRod6A

Just purchased a RV6A and the rudder was replaced due to wind damage, the new rudder built has the thicker skin than original, is there any flight performance differences/limitations that I should be concerned with? does the heavier rudder increase the potential for flutter?
Thx
Rodney

I would consider the .020 skins a desirable upgrade from the thinner, crack prone .016. Does this help?

.020 can also crack in certain cases. A bit of PRC (or similar) glueing down the ends of the stiffener ribs goes a long way in reducing cracking.

I had a big box coming from Vans so I had them throw in the vertical stabilizer and a Rudder kit for an RV 8 when I got tired of looking at the cracks , put it on when I did the reinforcing plates on the HS front spar , now I have much more Rutter authority and a counter weight back there !

I had a big box coming from Vans so I had them throw in the vertical stabilizer and a Rudder kit for an RV 8 when I got tired of looking at the cracks , put it on when I did the reinforcing plates on the HS front spar , now I have much more Rutter authority and a counter weight back there !

How much did that move the CG??

WB after the fix?

Probably need to make sure a proper aircraft weighing and resultant weight and balance was completed after the skin was replaced. Long moment, heavier skin, good to check. Also, if the plane hasn't been weighed in a long time it is a good idea anyway.:cool:

Was the RV-8 vertical stab and rudder a “bolt on” mod? Did it take much modifications?

Back