What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Front tire wear

bpattonsoa

Well Known Member
I have a Behringer on the front wheel. It was satisfactory up to around 250 hours, but now has developed quite a shimmy when landing or taking off. I balanced the wheel and checked the breakout force. it was slightly above the specifications. I noticed that running the wheel at slightly lower pressure, around 35 psi, gave some relief however the shimmy was still there.

When balancing the wheel I noticed it was slightly out of ground round. Around 3/32 to an eighth of an inch in one area. It definitely was a flat spot on the light side of the tire. I don’t understand how the nose wheel could develop a flat spot.

I checked with the local tire shops to see if they could deal with shaving that size tire. None could. Anti Splat could do it but the thought of taking it off, shipping, repair, shipping and reinstalling makes me wonder.. Alan said that they might not be able to get enough weights on it to balance after shaving that much off. It probably would be easier just to buy a new tire and O-ring

Has anybody else experienced the same issue? Why? What is the best solution?

Yes, on my RV-9 Berringer nose tire. It became out-of-round with excessive wear in one area. I kept it balanced with stick-on weighs. I use 45 psi in this nose tire. It is an Aero Classic Tubeless, and I find the quality of the tire disappointing. The tire logged 473 landings before I decided to replaced it due to vibration after lift-off.

Yes, on my RV-9 Berringer nose tire. It became out-of-round with excessive wear in one area. I kept it balanced with stick-on weighs. I use 45 psi in this nose tire. It is an Aero Classic Tubeless, and I find the quality of the tire disappointing. The tire logged 473 landings before I decided to replaced it due to vibration after lift-off.

Dan - if its vibrating after lift off, try tightening the axle. I had this same issue on my 10 and its because the nose wheel was spinning too freely. Once I tightened it up, problem went away.

Beringer RV7A nose Tire Bulge (Aero Classic)

I have an RV7A with a Beringer nose wheel. The aircraft and wheel have 240 hours since new. I recently noticed a significant bulge in the side wall. Concerning since it is an 8 ply tire. Wondering if this may be a tire production issue which could have some safety implications. Anyone else have this specific problem? Check you tires.

Just a guess here: have you checked the Lord mounts that are in compression, somewhat close to the firewall end of the nose strut, and are used Mooney-style as a spring-dampener? They do compress some in service, you may need to add a shim plate.

Back