What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vertical Power/Skytec 149-12XLT Starter

asw20c

Well Known Member
On page 43-11 one of the steps says to remove the jumper wire from the starter, but does not explain why. I spent a few phone calls and emails today with Vans and Vertical Power and I believe I understand what is going on, and if you plan to use the Vertical Power PPS system in place of the mechanical starter contactor then what is in the plans is not correct.
Another part of this story has to do with the WH-K910 wire that runs from the small lug on the starter back to the I-terminal on the mechanical starter contactor. The logic behind removing the jumper is that when the engine starts if the jumper wire is present then it will make the starter solenoid act like a generator keeping it energized and might have a tendency to keep the pinion gear meshed with the ring gear. By removing the jumper this can't happen. The K910 wire is there to energize the starter solenoid for starting if the jumper is no longer there for that purpose.
If you are using the Vertical Power PPS, then there is no I-terminal and therefore no need for the K910 wire, however if there is no wire to energize the starter solenoid then the jumper must be kept in place.
I'm posting this for 2 reasons. First, I'm interested if anyone with experience and solid knowledge of these systems can corroborate whether my reasoning/understanding is accurate, and second to give a heads up/warning to other Vertical Power users to be aware of this issue.

Back