What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X Touch Software v9.13 & G5 Software v8.17

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Good afternoon VAF!

GDU 4XX v9.13 and G5 v 8.17 have been released.

Service bulletin 20122 will be updated to Rev B Monday to reference 9.13 and 8.17 as fixes for the issue detailed in this post.

G3X Touch software version 9.13 can be found in the Software Download Area.

G5 software version 8.17 can be found from the support page.

Changes on these releases:
  • Correct GSA 28 hardware monitoring
  • (G3X) Add touch screen failure annunciation
  • (G5) Improve software loading with some SD cards

While GDU 37X 12.40 is referenced on the service bulletin, it will be available shortly.

Thanks,
Johnny

Thank you for working hard to get this releases so quickly!

Is there any reason why the GDU46x has GSA28 boot block software version 2.20/2.10 while the G5 has GSA 28 software version 5.30/2.60? I'll install the G5 last to ensure the latest version is installed but it seemed odd they didn't both have the same version.

Is there any reason why the GDU46x has GSA28 boot block software version 2.20/2.10 while the G5 has GSA 28 software version 5.30/2.60?

The two GSA 28 software version numbers given in the software change notes are actually both system software versions. There are a couple of different part numbers of GSA 28 hardware, each with its own system software. As far as I know they work identically.

Is there any reason why the GDU46x has GSA28 boot block software version 2.20/2.10 while the G5 has GSA 28 software version 5.30/2.60?
Chris,

Both the G3X Touch V9.13 and G5 V8.17 new releases contain the same GSA 28 software. They both contain:

GSA 28 System Software 5.30/2.60
GSA 28 Boot Block 2.20/2.10

I'll install the G5 last to ensure the latest version is installed but it seemed odd they didn't both have the same version.
When you have a G3X Touch system, the GDU 4XX PFD automatically updates the G5 over the CAN bus, so you never need to use a separate SD card and update the G5 or be concerned about what order the GDU 4XX PFD updates it.

Steve

Thank you guys for explaining, the mismatch of info on the change history (one shows boot block version and the other shows system version) through me off. That totally makes sense now, thanks again!

Installed the 9.12 with no problems but never had a chance to fly afterwards. Just installed the 9.13 and test flew a bit and didn't see any issues. Everything is updated and the G5 as well showing 8.17 correctly.

Well, I just updated from 9.10 to 9.13 and now have a pitch servo hardware fault, rendering the autopilot inop. I would hold off on this update....Also, anyone have a copy of 9.10 they can send me?

Well, I just updated from 9.10 to 9.13 and now have a pitch servo hardware fault, rendering the autopilot inop.

Have you considered that the improved monitoring in this version might have detected a latent autopilot fault?

Have you considered that the improved monitoring in this version might have detected a latent autopilot fault?

No, I haven't. It worked just fine before I loaded 9.13. I'm sure once I backload 9.10, it will work again. I have a copy of it on my PC at the shop, may do that tommorow. I would have done it today but I was at my other hangar and didn't have a copy. I should know better than to do things like this on a weekend when Garmin is closed.

Good evening Jake,

It would be reasonable that v9.13 shows a hardware fault for one of your servos where previous versions of software did not. We did improve our monitoring and reporting of hardware faults which would present itself in this fashion. Please reach out to us at the email below so that we may take a closer look.

Regards,
Brian

Well, I just updated from 9.10 to 9.13 and now have a pitch servo hardware fault, rendering the autopilot inop. I would hold off on this update....Also, anyone have a copy of 9.10 they can send me?

I had this happen a couple of yeas ago after loading the latest software at the time. After the upgrade the roll GSA 28 came up faulty. I had to remove it and get a warranty replacement from Garmin. Then all was well.

It seems to me that if everything works well for a few years and then Garmin "improves" its software that flushes out a problem that was hiding within the hardware since new they should honor warranty since the flaw simply went undetected until Garmin had collected enough data in the field to improve the error monitoring.

I loaded 9.12 after the service bulletin first came out. I've had several flights since with no issues. Is there any reason that I should upgrade to 9.13?

I loaded 9.12 after the service bulletin first came out. I've had several flights since with no issues. Is there any reason that I should upgrade to 9.13?
Yes, you will need to. Once you fly in such way that ESP needs to become active, then the AP will shut down.

I am having trouble loading v9.13. I have downloaded it to my Mac (downloaded the correct one), unzipped it, and copied it to an SD card that I have used for other downloads, including v9.01 just last month. I have tried to upload it twice now, with no luck. I have followed the instructions, except that I am challenged and do not know how to put the Garmin folder to the top level (root directory) of the SC card. The Garmin folder is there, but a ways down in the list when I look what's on the SD card. I B needing some travel tips to get v9.13 loaded. Thanks!

Last edited:
I am having trouble loading v9.13. I have downloaded it to my Mac (downloaded the correct one), unzipped it, and copied it to an SD card that I have used for other downloads, including v9.01 just last month. I have tried to upload it twice now, with no luck. I have followed the instructions, except that I am challenged and do not know how to put the Garmin folder to the top level (root directory) of the SC card. The Garmin folder is there, but a ways down in the list when I look what's on the SD card. I B needing some travel tips to get v9.13 loaded. Thanks!

Tip, get yourself a cheap windows computer and stop using the Mac :D
(I’d venture to say 100% of the folks that I talk to that have trouble with update/SW loads are using a Mac)

Last edited:
A Mac will work just fine. The card should have nothing else on it. If unsure reformat it then it is just a matter of dragging the Blue "Garmin" folder from your Mac to the newly formatted card.

I picked up one a month ago for $99 at Best Buy for the following reasons:

Back when my first Mac looked like this

2001 Mac.gif

and for probably ten years to follow I did keep a PC machine on hand for purposes such as this. Ten or eleven years ago, however (when my latest PC machine didn't last even the normal two years for that junk), I made the decision that if a software/website/application wouldn't work on a Mac then I didn't need it.

Yes, I Have switched banks and brokerages along the way.

Needless to say but I have never had an issue loading G3X updates using Mac. Good thing, I no longer am related to or even know anyone that still uses PC (including my 88 year old mother who asked eight years ago how I can use the same laptop for nine or ten years - then switched - she is close to wanting a new one).

I loaded 9.13 the other day and yesterday flew for about an hour with good results. ESP, smart glide, and works fine as does the traffic annunciations. Ran autopilot through paces, including approach and all is good so far. Equipment is GTN650 and 3 G3x's with G5 backup.

G3X and G5 Altitude Cross Check

Installed v9.13 and v8.17 yesterday then went out to fly 6 approaches to stay IFR current. All went well EXCEPT, the altitude difference between my G3X and G5 is larger than before. I've always have about a 15' altitude difference between the two instruments. But, after update, I have a 30' difference.

Can anyone tell me if the update could be the cause??? Has anyone else seen this change in their setup after software update?

Back