What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Determining RV-6A Value

scottg

It's time to part with my RV-6A and I don't know what value to put on her. Can someone suggest what the realistic range would be for:

1997 RV-6A, O-320 D-1A (installed new), 1200TT, Hatrzell C/S, IFR (six pack, SL-30, dual axis a/p), clean, always hangared, no damage, out of annual, last flown 7/2018. I expect to take a hit on the last two items, but want to ask a fair price. There may be some interest locally, so I need a starting point.

Thank you,

Last edited:
Without seeing photo showing the condition, I'd imagine 50-60k.

Getting an annual and flying a few hours would be a good investment, even if you have to get professionals involved. The pool of buyers willing to buy an airplane, especially an experimental, without flying it is small. There is a lot of airplanes out there that look good but don't fly well.

This is a loaded question you have asked. The engine may be toast if it was stored outside which you say it wasn't, Or should I say in an unheated hangar . Cam rusting from lack of use it REAL.
I have a daughter that got into a club that had just bought a C-182 that hadn't been flow for only a year. I told her she needed to be aware of the rust problem.
You guessed it//??? The engine was making metal in 100 hours and had to be torn out for rework within 200 hours. bad cam from rust. But the engine only had 350 hours was the comment.
Rust doesn't care.
Need to get it flying and inspected to be able to fly it, Or take a ding for ???? on the engine rebuild.
My three cents worth Art

Last edited:
Two years ago, I bought a 1995 RV-6, out of annual, comparable to yours, except mine is fixed pitch. Spent months working through all of the gremlins, and now have a good airplane. I have put close to 300 hours on it, and so far no metal in the oil, so I might have dodged that bullet. On the other hand, I put about 300 maint hours into sorting out the airframe and getting rigged right. But, I bought the airplane at a price that factored in need for condition inspection and an engine overhaul.
As mine sits right now, I figure it's worth 60K. I paid a LOT less than that for it.
You will get the best price by getting it inspected and some recent flight time on it. But first, before turning the prop, get borescope photos of the cylinders, and consider popping a cylinder loose just enough to get a borescope of a cam lobe (#1 and #2 intake would be best). Or, sell it at a price that reflects 20K toward an overhaul, and a few grand for getting airframe brought up to speed, and just absorb the financial hit as a tradeoff for not having to mess with it.
Hope that provides meaningful data.

Last edited:
Back