What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil cooler mount

Vfr1200

Doing a IO-390 , looking at mounting the oil cooler at angle for better clearance of the engine mount . Has anyone done the same ?
Thx
Photo is rotate 90 degrees

Attachments

• 67F1FF15-F7E4-45A1-9E15-9A577ED4E5E5.jpg
    67F1FF15-F7E4-45A1-9E15-9A577ED4E5E5.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 107
Room on the pilot side…

There is plenty of room on the pilot side of the firewall but not much extra;)

Attachments

• 5D844345-D784-4EFC-89AA-4FFD4F4F3335.jpeg
    5D844345-D784-4EFC-89AA-4FFD4F4F3335.jpeg
    438.9 KB · Views: 171
Which one?

Which oil cooler and mounting kit are you using please? I will need to order one soon for the IO390-EXP119 going in my RV7.

(Any tips for what to order firewall forward gratefully received!)

Andy

Firewall, Pilot Side

I used two pieces of 6061-T6 Aluminum Angle .063", 3/4" x 3/4" x ~24". attached to the firewall running from the recess down toward the gear tower. The two angles are separated by the width of the SW Oil Cooler (~3.5"). This mount and location will work with SW 8406R, 10599R, 10610R, 10611R, etc. (and clones)...

I fabricated a custom diffuser from fiberglass, to match the area of the face of the oil cooler to the size of the duct from its position on the rear baffle of cylinder #4, 3" in my case.

Attached is an example from another RV-7 I'm helping build. 3" duct and 8406R (engine is an IO-360-M1B6). For the IO-390-C (EXP-119), i'd go with a 4.5" to 5" duct and a SW 10611R...

Attachments

• IMG_4184.jpg
    IMG_4184.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_4185.jpg
    IMG_4185.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 130
SChristo was kind enough to send me a couple of pictures of his installation pictured a few posts up with ruler for scale. I copied his install with good dimension references in my build log.

Fair warning, my oil cooler fits fine in that location as far as the engine mount, and I'm certainly not expecting any problems, but I'm not hanging the engine for a couple of weeks so I can't say for certain until then.

RV10 mount

I used the RV10 cooler and mount. It's plumbed with scat to a 4" butterfly valve, 4" rubber 45, then directly to #4 baffle where a 4" flange is attached. Valve control is on the quadrant.

Which oil cooler and mounting kit are you using please? I will need to order one soon for the IO390-EXP119 going in my RV7.

(Any tips for what to order firewall forward gratefully received!)

Andy

Well I’m not certain yet which mount I’m using yet still getting feed back and trying to lay firewall out , I’ve actually bought everything available one on the market , i first started with airflow where i bought the 13 row oil cooler they had 2 mounts available a 90 degree and 45 degree really didn’t like either, they also sell a 45 degree scoop for the tube, it doesn’t line up with the 13 row cooler . I just ordered today the showplanes mount for the 7A and 13 row cooler ,this goes on engine mount and baffle i believe form looking at the pics. i have the vans oil cooler firewall mount and like it but it takes up critical firewall space i think i will need , i really need to get my baffle kit in to make sure where things is end up from what others have said i need to order the 14a baffle kit but no it sure it will line up with the cowl correctly so will keep you updated as i go. ,,

Last edited:
Well I’m not certain yet which mount I’m using yet still getting feed back and trying to lay firewall out , I’ve actually bought everything available one on the market , i first started with airflow where i bought the 13 row oil cooler they had 2 mounts available a 90 degree and 45 degree really didn’t like either, they also sell a 45 degree scope for the tube, it doesn’t line up with the 13 row cooler . I just ordered today the showplanes mount for the 7A and 13 row cooler ,this goes on engine mount and baffle i believe form looking at the pics. i have the vans oil cooler firewall mount and like it but it takes up critical firewall space i think i will need , i really need to get my baffle kit in to make sure where things is end up from what others have said i need to order the 14a baffle kit but no it sure it will line up with the cowl correctly so will keep you updated as i go. ,,

I have the showplanes mount on my rv7. Next annual I'm removing the showplanes mount and putting the cooler on the firewall. The seal is very difficult to get sealed tight. Our oil temp runs fine in the air, about 190 degrees, but will climb to 210 in the pattern, and on hot days will get to 230 after landing and taxiing in for shutdown. With a 13 row cooler I was hoping on having issues keeping the temp warm enough, but even with the air valve wide open we can't get anything lower than 185 out of it. I'm hoping the RV10 mount with a decent nozzle/diffuser will seal better and get me 10-20 degrees cooler on the oil.

I have the showplanes mount on my rv7. Next annual I'm removing the showplanes mount and putting the cooler on the firewall. The seal is very difficult to get sealed tight. Our oil temp runs fine in the air, about 190 degrees, but will climb to 210 in the pattern, and on hot days will get to 230 after landing and taxiing in for shutdown. With a 13 row cooler I was hoping on having issues keeping the temp warm enough, but even with the air valve wide open we can't get anything lower than 185 out of it. I'm hoping the RV10 mount with a decent nozzle/diffuser will seal better and get me 10-20 degrees cooler on the oil.

PM sent...

RV-7A with IO-360

Airflow Performance 2006X cooler mounted with their brackets and ducts. Custom made duct/butterfly on the baffle. PV IO-360, now 8.7:1 compression.

Back