What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help identify something behind panel

Probably a silly question but have you looked at where the other end of the cables from the plug connector go? That might give a clue or two.

Watching with intrigue

Nige

I tried but the wires are bundled with other bundles making it hard to determine. I did t want to break the bundles apart but I will if I need to. The avionics were installed in 2008 time frame.

What’s the EFIS brand in your panel? That might help narrow the search. It might also help to give us a quick rundown of what other systems and their brands you have (lights, pitot, autopilot, ignition, etc).

Last edited:
Looking at the chips you have a timer and (i believe) a clock oscillator. Combined with the mosfet for output control and a transistor to trigger the switch based on the oscillator.

My guess is a wig-wag and/or strobe controller.

Looking at the chips you have a timer and (i believe) a clock oscillator. Combined with the mosfet for output control and a transistor to trigger the switch based on the oscillator.

Plus a comparator. I would guess the thing in the TO-92 package is a linear regulator.

My guess is a wig-wag and/or strobe controller.

I wonder... that DB9 connector is not going to pass a ton of current. Something to do with cockpit lighting, maybe? Or possibly a tone generator for stall warning or something else?

If the OP follows the wires I bet the answer will become clear! :)

I think I see a domed LED near the top left. If so, turn everything on, see if the light comes on or pulses. If so, turn stuff off until you ID its function. My guess is also a wig wag controller.

BTW, once you ID the unit, find some better way to secure it than velcro. Last thing you need is a bunch of exposed electrical stuff flopping around behind the panel.

I'd say it compares something to something (e.g. a dimmer knob input) and it makes something either blink or controls its brightness. Could also be comparing a temperature and then turning a fan on.
You said it's hard to follow the cables. Consider buying a cable tracer which consists of a transmitter and a little receiver that lets you trace where cables go.

Or could it be one of Bob Nucles voltage level comparator circuits that he uses to indicate a low voltage event, or switch to an alternate battery....

Back