What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-540 mag question.

AV8ER

Well Known Member
Question:

I’ve got a normal retard-breaker mag on the left side and a 6 cylinder P-mag on the right. The left side retard-breaker mag has a little over a thousand hours and needs its 1000 hour overhaul ($950+freight).

I have the slick mag model #6350 that came off the right side before the P-mag went on that has lots of hours left on it before the 1000 hour overhaul is needed. I would like to put this mag on the left side. I know I cannot start the engine on it and would plan to start only on the P-mag. Can I put this mag on the left side?
Ser no 08090033
Model no 6350
Lag. 0
Rot. L
Rev. E

Tim

When my engine came back from the test runs, the 6350 mag had been fitted on the left. So apart from not being able to use the slick start it should make no difference.

Regards

Peter

Retard Mag

I have a Retard mag that I took off my IO-540. Has 60 hrs on it. I would sell it for $600. Shipping included.

Attachments

• IMG_2630.jpeg
    IMG_2630.jpeg
    884.3 KB · Views: 50
I have the slick mag model #6350 that came off the right side before the P-mag went on that has lots of hours left on it before the 1000 hour overhaul is needed.

I thought there was on SB on the 540 slick mags with the inspection interval reduced from 500 down to 250 or 300 hours. Lots of vibration in the back of the 540.

Larry

There is no SB that requires retard breaker mags to be inspected prior to 500 hours.
Impulse coupled mags are required (by AD 99-04-04) to have the impulse coupling inspected at 250 hour intervals.

Last edited:
Thanks All.

It would seem the answer is yes you can put either mag (retard or not) on either side.

I have however purchased another retard mag that has a bunch less hours on it so I am good to go.

Do note that generally the mag drive "paddles" that go on the magneto shaft are different between the left and right sides. This isn't immediately obvious when looking at them...

Back