What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airwolf Remote Filter

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Does anyone have an Airwolf Remote Filter on their -14/A? If so, I would appreciate a look at where you mounted it. I have one and am planning the location before mounting the engine.

Actually, even if you don't have one, I could use a photo of what the firewall looks like on the port side. I am thinking the lower corner is logical, but don't know what else might intrude.

Thanks, in advance.

S

Last edited:
Airwolf

Andy Kilroy put one on.
I'd like to make sure I get the right one for an EXP 119 engine with the accessory drive if anyone can answer that.

Thanks!

JET

Here is a pic of my remote Airwolf oil filter mounted on the lower left part of the firewall. There is a doubler on the inside of the cabin. Aircraft Specialty supplied the oil lines, btw (great company to work with - they have all the requisite fuel and oil lines for the -14A and other RVs)

_Alex

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 10.58.25 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 10.58.25 AM.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
Here is a pic of my remote Airwolf oil filter mounted on the lower left part of the firewall. There is a doubler on the inside of the cabin. Aircraft Specialty supplied the oil lines, btw (great company to work with - they have all the requisite fuel and oil lines for the -14A and other RVs)

_Alex

The doubler for behind the firewall I got with mine has six holes in it. The firewall mount has four. Any idea why they make the doubler longer than the oil filter mount? Any reason to put the extra two holes above or below the four in the mount? I'm thinking above to resist any bending of the firewall when fiddling with the oil filter. On the other hand, maybe the doubler should have eight holes and be longer than the filter mount both above and below? Overthinking again, aren't I?

My location was very similar to Alex. I drilled a little hole for safety wire:

IMG_0367.jpg

Cushion for Filter

That piece of slit rubber hose and largish hose clamp that come with the Airwolf kit is for cushioning between the filter and the firewall. Airwolf says that in time, vibration of the filter and mount, will crack the mount unless the filter is firm against the firewall. I noticed that neither of the posted photos had this 'cushion' installed. And, it may not be critical when using the shorter filter. I am using the longer Champion filter and will install the cushion.

I also spoke to AW re the longer doubler. It is intended for the extra length to be above the filter mount, as shown above, providing more stiffness on top the mount. I am fabricating another doubler for mine that provides holes both top and bottom of the mount so the firewall is stiffened in both directions. Prolly overkill, but, there is room, so why not?

Safety Wired Filter Adapter?

One more thing: I found out from AW that the filter adapter on the rear of the engine that replaces the OEM oil filter is supposed to be safety wired. My kit did not have a means of doing this. They are overnighting a new adapter to replace mine. Good customer service, me thinks.

Check your builds and make sure it can be wired.

The doubler for behind the firewall I got with mine has six holes in it. The firewall mount has four. Any idea why they make the doubler longer than the oil filter mount? Any reason to put the extra two holes above or below the four in the mount? I'm thinking above to resist any bending of the firewall when fiddling with the oil filter. On the other hand, maybe the doubler should have eight holes and be longer than the filter mount both above and below? Overthinking again, aren't I?

I just put the extra two holes of the double below; I don't think I really matters though. Not sure why they didn't make the mount and doubler the same size.

_Alex

One more thing: I found out from AW that the filter adapter on the rear of the engine that replaces the OEM oil filter is supposed to be safety wired. My kit did not have a means of doing this. They are overnighting a new adapter to replace mine. Good customer service, me thinks.

Check your builds and make sure it can be wired.

I'm not sure how the filter adapter can come loose with the two very stiff oil hoses attached, effectively acting to prevent rotation. But thanks - I didn't realize it was supposed to be safety-wired (mine didn't come with a means to do that)

I see that neither of your installs used the longer oil filter. Fit issues?

I believe mine uses the longer, narrower oil filter - Airwolf provided the CH48109-1 filter, which is longer and narrower than the original one that Lycoming provided with the engine.

_Alex

That piece of slit rubber hose and largish hose clamp that come with the Airwolf kit is for cushioning between the filter and the firewall. Airwolf says that in time, vibration of the filter and mount, will crack the mount unless the filter is firm against the firewall. I noticed that neither of the posted photos had this 'cushion' installed.

Thanks - I might have to install that cushioning hose then; I can't remember why I didn't, aside from clearance issues? My bird is in the paint shop so it will be a couple months before I can address.

_Alex

I just put the extra two holes of the double below; I don't think I really matters though. Not sure why they didn't make the mount and doubler the same size.

_Alex
I spoke to AW about this. The doubler is longer to increase stiffness. The instructions show it with the extra holes above the mount. I fabbed another doubler to be even longer to increase stiffness of firewall above and below mount.

Longer filter

I use the longer filter - just move it higher.

Attachments

• Air Wolf Mount.png
    Air Wolf Mount.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 122
I'm not sure how the filter adapter can come loose with the two very stiff oil hoses attached, effectively acting to prevent rotation. But thanks - I didn't realize it was supposed to be safety-wired (mine didn't come with a means to do that)

I sent the non-safety wire adapter back and they sent me a new one. Great service.

Does anyone have an Airwolf Remote Filter on their -14/A? If so, I would appreciate a look at where you mounted it. I have one and am planning the location before mounting the engine.

Actually, even if you don't have one, I could use a photo of what the firewall looks like on the port side. I am thinking the lower corner is logical, but don't know what else might intrude.

Thanks, in advance.

S

We utilize the location on the pilot lower firewall and the K-007F kit from Airwolf with our installation package.

The details can be seen on page 23 of the install document

www.aircraftspecialty.com/PDF Documents/RV-14 FF.pdf

The next revision will show the RV14 TW install. It's a bit more sporty with the engine mount trying to get in the way, but it does fit!

Happy building,
Steve

We utilize the location on the pilot lower firewall and the K-007F kit from Airwolf with our installation package.

The details can be seen on page 23 of the install document

www.aircraftspecialty.com/PDF Documents/RV-14 FF.pdf

The next revision will show the RV14 TW install. It's a bit more sporty with the engine mount trying to get in the way, but it does fit!

Happy building,
Steve

I mounted mine just like your photo on p23 except for my longer doubler in back. Thanks, Steve.
S

Back