What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Front 6 screws not lining up after Hartzell prop overhauled

david.perl

Well Known Member
Hi there

Had a 6 year inspection done on my prop.

On reinstallation, the front row of 6 screws are misaligned by 1/2 inch. The black dome on the Hartzell prop has been a little more tightened more than before hence the misalignment.

Is this a known issue and do i need a new front spinner plate and redrill it to the new position?

Normal in most cases. drill new holes to match and move nutplates is my recommendation.

I’ve seen others post the same issue after overhaul.

If my plane I’d just replace the front plate. They are cheap enough.

Carl

David

When the prop shop who overhauled my prop refitted the spinner they slotted the 4 holes in the centre of the plate where it attaches to the prop dome, to allow for the difference. If the holes are quite away from the originals, then you could drill new ones.
I asked them about it and they said that’s what they do with all the certified aircraft they service.
I’ve had a second overhaul since and the front plate sat within the slots they had made. It’s been fine for 8 years no issues.
I used General Aero Services at Thurrock and they have been excellent.

Carl the plate might be cheap but sending it too the UK with postage, taxes and fees just might make your eyes water.

PS as a tip for anyone sending there prop in, send the spinner as well, so they line the front and rear plates up for you when they reassemble everything.

Regards

Peter

Last edited:
Thanks Peter for the response and others as well. I used the same prop shop as yourself and realised afterwards I should’ve sent the spinner with the prop. I think the easiest way as you say is to slot the spinner plate and move it half a inch around. You live and learn in this game of Aviation

Hi there

Had a 6 year inspection done on my prop.

On reinstallation, the front row of 6 screws are misaligned by 1/2 inch. The black dome on the Hartzell prop has been a little more tightened more than before hence the misalignment.

Is this a known issue and do i need a new front spinner plate and redrill it to the new position?

Normal. Got my prop back in September and the rear spinner nutplates where off by about 30 degrees. That was after I talked to Hartzell about it, marked the front hub for alignment and their response was "no problem, it will align perfectly when it's done". It didn't. Installed new nutplates. When the next overhaul happens I'll have to have a new backplate and front spinner support plate.

Spinner alignment

A VAF search should yield lots of info as this is a common occurrence. Several ways to deal with this. A new bulkhead is one way. If the holes are close you could slot the bulkhead holes a little with a small round file. If the holes are not close just move the nutplates. I’ve done all 3 ways and they all work. Use Caution, the threaded holes in the prop dome are shallow and can be damaged if the correct hardware is not used. Side note: This bulkhead on some cert aircraft come with slotted mounting holes. This allows a replacement part to be bolted on without need for fitting. Piper Arrow comes to mind.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

i filed out slots for the 4 bolts in the front spinner plate and all now sorted

thanks for the input

now to sort out the flat battery whilst the prop as been off

Back