What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advanced Flight 4500 to 5400 upgrade

Dave12

Well Known Member
I?m considering upgrading my 4500 to a 5400. For those who have done this, I would like to know your thoughts on it?

If you had it to do over, would you have upgraded to a 5500 with the extra knobs and buttons? Thanks in advance.

Easy choice

Dave,
I have the AFS 5600T and love it. The choice between the 5400 and 5500 seems like a no brainer. The screens are the same size, and the 5500 is $500 cheaper. The 5500 is very similar to the 5600. I like the buttons, and I think you will too.

One thing to note however: The AFS web site advertises the 5400 as a direct drop in for the 4500. It doesn't say that for the 5500, so you may want to check that out.

Last edited:
The 5400 is the only direct drop in due to dimensions. The 5500 is slightly different. I upgraded from 4500s to 5500s. I highly recommend the upgrade. Yes the buttons and knobs are worth it. Although they do make a couple modules to control the autopilot with remote controls on it that might help if space it tight.

Thanks Bob and Jim. The 5500 is not a drop in replacement. I have little to not much panel space to spare. My buddy that built the plane packed it full of good stuff. I have a stand alone TT Vision a/p that I’ll be keeping so I don’t need the extra components.

Looking to hear from someone who has gone the 5400 route.

Last edited:
They have a 25% discount for the ahrs and display; if you send in your old ones. I am on the fence, still debating on just starting over with the panel. There are several other things I'd like to change. But the easiest would be the 5400.

I upgraded one of my two 3500s to a 5400. They still share the screens although ADSB traffic and weather will not show on my remaining 3500 and I can only get XM weather to display on one screen at a time.
While the 5400 will fit in the 3500 hole, I wouldn?t call it a drop in replacement as it also involves replacing the external magnetometer with an external ADAHRS unit and adding an SV hub and external back-up battery with associated wiring additions and changes.
I am delighted with the upgrade, which included adding Advanced?s ADSB receiver.

Hi Dave,

I'm in the middle of replacing my 4500 with a 5500.

I chose the 5500 over the 5400 for one primary reason:

- I wanted a unit that shared the same bottonology, and associated source code, as the other models (5600, 5700, 5800).

The existing 4500 hole is to narrow horizontally and to tall vertically. To get around this, I designed a bezel to sandwich between the panel and 5500. I've a mock version cut out of clear acrylic on a laser cutter. The final version will be black acrylic and should match the 5500's bezel and dark grey panel very nicely. Let me know if you'd like the DXF CAD file.

There are some changes in the wiring. Fortunately, I did my wiring in CAD so I'm in the process of updating the drawings and noting the differences. I expect to end up with a "punch list" with simple move pin X to position Y.

Good luck,

Yes

I did the 3500 to 5400 upgrade myself and yes it was worth it. I didn't wire the original panel myself so I was a little nervous, had to call AFS a couple times, they were very patient and helpful.

I got the extra knob module and the 5400 with knob module is great and didnt require new panel

Hi Dave, I did this over a year ago and have absolutely loved the change. Truth be known there is a little more to it than just a drop in replacement (at least for me), but all very doable for a builder. I added a backup battery, made a tray for the ADAHRS and some new cabling to go over to my old 4500 on the right side. No big deal on any of it. I also found adding the wifi dongle a big plus as well as an extension to bring the USB port to the front of the panel. A nice thing to do as a useful feature for the monthly updating since I have slider and can't easily get to the back of the 5400. Good luck on this and I'm sure you'll be happy with touch screen system.

Dave,
I swapped my 4500 for a 5400 several years ago. I am very happy with the swap. It will mount right up no muss no fuss in place of the 4500. Like another stated I added a back up battery and a different style Magnetometer. Its a great upgrade!

Back