What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust Systems - 2 pipe or 4 pipe?

snoopyflys

Well Known Member
I am getting to the point in my build where I am starting to really think about my power plant configuration. I am going with a IO-360 180 to 195hp with horizontal induction and I am wondering if there were any advantages to going with the Vettermann Exhaust 2 pipe or 4 pipe system. Is one better than the other or is it purely ascetics? Maintenance or repair advantages/disadvantages between these configurations. Are they all pretty much the same or specific to a particular engine build configuration (Lyco vs AeroSport vs PennYan, etc.) and sump used?

I am getting to the point in my build where I am starting to really think about my power plant configuration. I am going with a IO-360 180 to 195hp with horizontal induction and I am wondering if there were any advantages to going with the Vettermann Exhaust 2 pipe or 4 pipe system. Is one better than the other or is it purely ascetics? Maintenance or repair advantages/disadvantages between these configurations. Are they all pretty much the same or specific to a particular engine build configuration (Lyco vs AeroSport vs PennYan, etc.) and sump used?

I will help you out on this one, if you go with the cold air induction setup you can only do 4 pipe and it has to be vetterman, skydynamics only does the exhuast for cold air for their sump, not ECI's

hope that helps

I think you have to go with a 2 pipe on a 7A

I don't believe there is enough room to route 4 pipes around the nose gear and get them to exit out the cowling???? Vetterman sells a crossover system for the -A's and the IO-360 M1B engines. IF it wasn't a -A, I would say go with the 1 pipe system:eek:. 4 into 1.....

I don't believe there is enough room to route 4 pipes around the nose gear and get them to exit out the cowling???? Vetterman sells a crossover system for the -A's and the IO-360 M1B engines. IF it wasn't a -A, I would say go with the 1 pipe system:eek:. 4 into 1.....

I had 4 with the 7A and the cold sump. It works.

I like 4 pipes, the 8 will have them and are on order. They are clean and easy to install (with the heat muff) and make noise like an old Harley. :)

Snoop,

This is what my 4 pipe Vetterman "Church Organ" (as I call it) system looks like:

pipes.jpg

I am not sure how the nosedragger gear fits in there. You be the judge.

Larry Vetterman says that this is his favorite system. Call him and talk to him. He will be able to answer all your questions and then some. He is a GREAT guy!

Hope this helps!

:) CJ

it is interesting that you would make such a statement. It appears you must not have much experience working with "A" model RV's.

Here is a pic of my build during work on the firewall forward items:
image.jpg

As you may note my 4-pipe fits rather nicely with the nose gear. In fact you might even say it was custom built just for that purpose (by Larry Vetterman himself). Please do not discourage others with opinions that are not built upon facts! :rolleyes:

Back