What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Time To "Ante Up" VAF Members

Geico266

Well Known Member
When I sold a large item on VAF I promised to make a large contribution. After the sale I clicked on the link below and found that VAF contributions are 40% lower than last year?:eek:

http://www.vansairforce.net/yearlypledgedrive_value.htm

Enough said guys and gals. DR should not have to beat on us for contributions. If you use his site please contribute. If you are a lurker please send in a few bucks. If you have ever used the search button to find an answer to your building issue send a check. If you have made a contribution and feel so inclined make another.

I know times are a little rough, but imagine taking a 30 - 40% pay cut and your workl load increased? Never mind, that is what has happened to most of us! ;)

Even if you are the DR "Do Not Ever Contribute" list make a contribution, I do. I appreciate the offer DR, but business is business.

Thanks DR for keeping this ship afloat.

Last edited:
Well said, Larry. I know I get FAR more than my 25 bucks worth in advice and good ideas in a year of browsing/contributing to this site. Heck, I'm here lurking just about every day, and it's cheaper than a magazine subscription.

Times are tough, that's understandable. But most of us here are fortunate enough to have a few dollars left at the end of the day to build and fly an airplane, right? The cost is less than 1 hour worth of fuel for your RV, and it ensures the site we all love will be around next year to enjoy.

Thank you. I wasn't even aware that contributions were requested. I have found this site SO helpful, encouraging and entertaining that $25 seems way more than fair. I'll do it now!!

Yep, it's time

I just need to pay up. I'm on the "exempt" list per Doug's guidelines, but I've long realized the tremendous value of what DR has done for us, the RV community. Every year I pay Dan Checkoway to use his weithermeister program. Wouldn't fly without it. The VansAirforce site is just as invaluable to me for the enjoyment of my hobby and the maintainence of my plane. Doug, thank-you for the work you do. I'm here most every day, so I pledge to pay from here on :)
Ron Patterson
RV-4 N8ZD

Thanks for the reminder

I have been looking at this site for years, now that we own an RV, it is even more valuable, essential. Thanks Doug, another payment sent in today.

Did it

Larry,
I'm on the "exempt" list, too, but you're right. I get too much out of this not to pay up. I just got back from a nice little trip to Afghanistan, and which 3 web pages did I pull up every day while in the desert? My 2 e-mail accounts, and VAF.
Thanks for keeping me sane for 7 months,

I'm due at the end of the year...that way I can avoid winning something midway through the year in one of the raffle draws. :p

Just checked and it's been one year as of last week for me :eek:

Will be doing it tomorrow!

Thanks for the reminder!

I have been a lurker for a while and I an truly in awe of the information and community here. Thanks for the reminder, I made a donation today.

Aaron

Maybe an email?

Yup. October is my month too. It looks like I'm a slacker all year, but I'm actually a paid in full member for several years now. I just pay in October.

Doug does a "PBS" like member marathon each year, but I wonder if he should also send an email 30 days before we expire? Just one is not too much. My dentists tells me when it is time to clean my teeth, may Doug shoud tell me when it is time to clean my wallet?

I'm building an RV-9A and this is the best investment in the project I have.

Dkb

Pay for the benefit

I'm on the 'exempt' list too. However, I glean so much benefit from Doug's site and all you fellow builders, well, paying is quite simply the right and fair thing to do. Through the magic of online banking, Doug get's a monthly check from me. Easy, no fuss, and consistent.

IF you are a VAF regular or lurker, no doubt the VAF has helped you. Pay the man...he has earned it. :cool:

I'm exempt but

I paid my dues anyway. What dr asks for is really only pennies a day and I get plenty of pleasure for my pennies each and every day.

Donation sent. Just joined the other day, but there's no way I could get this much info and help anwhere else. My thanks to DR for this fine site.

I Tried

I went to the donate yearly link and attempted to donate using a credit card. It didn't work.

Anyone have a suggestion?
Booger

I guess that I am exempt x 2 but am glad to pay for this great service and did so tonight. Already after just one month of RV ownership, I have gained tremendously from the information and people on this forum. Thanks!
John

Thanks for the reminder; I've been meaning to make my donation ever since I joined the RV family, but I am a terminal procrastinator. Done!

Why not a business

I would like people to comment on this.

Instead of a donation model, why not a business?

Doug does a good job with this forum, he feeds his family with the proceeds, I have problem with that. He gets advertising revenue and he runs a good shop?

Donations just seems like a misnomer for what this is about. Its not a non-for-profit, it isn't a charity, and no one impoverished is getting the money. So why not just charge a feed?

Doug can say free read access for 6 months to all and your not allowed to post something unless you pay your yearly subscription.

I see value in that.

Am I the only one that feels that way? Then the whole donation discussion disappears and Doug would probably make considerably more cash off of people who want to pay.

When was the last time you bought a news paper and they asked for a donation?

Am I the only one that thinks this is the way to go?

[ed. The simplest explanation I can offer is ‘because it's less work for everyone involved’ and it helps preserve my sanity.

First, as a United States citizen who is VERY appreciative of those who defend(ed) my freedoms, the 'exempt from donating' military category is of primary importance to me. Forcing anyone to pay just to view or post introduces another colossal layer of complexity – the notion of unintended consequences. Who is going to setup and maintain the list of thousands of free military accounts? How do you verify their credentials? That means employees, and more overhead, and an office, and status meetings, and peer reviews, and a thousand other things that killed parts of my soul in a previous corporate life. It becomes an episode of ‘The Office’ every day. Thank you, but no. I do it this way for my own selfish reasons, primarily.

Second, it also releases me from the ‘I paid my money so this is the direction I demand you go with the site’ back and forth. If you don’t feel you got $25 in value over the current year, don’t pay.

Third, this honor system business model also allows those who are on the fence re: getting into the hobby to virtually ride along, for years if that’s what it takes. The soft sell approach gets people involved in the hobby, and sells kits. It perpetuates the hobby.

You mentioned ‘When was the last time you bought a newspaper and they asked for a donation?’ My business model isn’t exactly like that. I would say it’s more like, “Take the paper (or magazine) each day as you walk by. Then, at the end of the year pay up your tab.”

And I don’t have to do the Australian conversion rate thing <grin>.

And finally, thank you to all who 'pay their tab'. dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
I see no problem with that mindset Gus, but there are those out there, and I'm sure DR is one-otherwise why run this site at all-that derive more pleasure from helping people than charging people.

The honour system strikes me as being particularly old-school, and you've gotta give the bloke credit for putting it all on the line and relying upon such a system for a substantial portion of your income.

Having said that though, I'd fully support him if he did go that route. After all, he *has* staked it all on VAF being a success and I can't see the Bank lookng too favorably at "head honcho of VAF" on a loan application. :p

it is the end of the year and donation time again. the check is in the mail. best guy and forum hands down. not a bad plane either. will be celebrating my 4,000 hr mark soon. keep pounding those rivits. its all worth it.
webla.jpg

Premium service.

I understand Doug wants to keep this simple and just use donations and advertisers to fund his business. *BUT* we have come to rely on this service, and hope Doug does not lose interest! So how can we help that?

Why, TECHNOLOGY of course.

How about a premium service difference?

For example, if you pay, you can have more than 50 email messages. I'm IN!

How about: All folks can read and respond to Classified posts *BUT* only paid members can make new posts? I believe the current software would support this, and I believe it is FAIR for both Doug, and for us.

Remember, Doug has kids about to head to college! OUCH!

Other premium services come to mind?

(and Thanks Doug, for all the stuff you do.):D

Dkb

[ed. Thank you for the kind words and suggestions, David.

It means a lot to me that you (and others) are looking after my best interests. If it's okay with you, I'd like to go ahead and stick with my simple, no-hassle, pay-if-you-use-it business model. For some psychological reason that I haven't fully explored yet, I feel compelled to offer the site to the world in this fashion. Maybe because it is exactly the opposite of what is currently offered. Maybe because I'm an idiot <g>.

I was not raised in a household that talked much about karma, but I've come to believe that if you do good, sometime down the road good will find you.

Maybe Danny King will leave "Beautiful Doll" to me in his will (rimshot). LOL!

dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
ok...it worked! I paid u!

ok, I'll admit, I've been thinking for a looooooong time, 'well, I paid in 2010, about in November or something, so it hasn't QUITE been a year yet.....etc."

I wouldn't like it if my pay were cut 40%, so if i want to come to the site, and use this wonderful resource, time to pay the Piper ( ah, I mean, RV'er!):)

I agree that the resource could be 'tweaked' a bit, as long as it doesn't become onerous for DR.....things suggested like, only paid-up members can post on the classifieds, but anyone can view, buy, ask silly questions....etc.

Love This Place

Well, I'm one of those RV "wannabe's" whose been lurking here for the past couple of months. Don't even have my PP, but it's a dream and I love reading the posts you all put up here. So, even though I'm not a builder (or, as said, even a flyer...yet) it's a dream that will be fulfilled sooner or later and this site is the best resource that there is out there...well worth the $25 (even though I'm eligible for the "military discount"...lol). Right now, however, I'm dreaming that Rina goes either N or S and misses us in the Keys.

Ron

I have become soft in my old age...

Doug,

I think your reply allowed me to understand why you do it this way.

It doesn't make sense to my business brain but then again it aint my business is it.

I don't connect money with anything other than a transaction. The word donation just makes me look for the genuinely poor.

..but now, I have done it. I now have paid money to you for it.

I look at this site almost every day, it just didn't seem right not to pay you for it.

And yes in my head I am paying you and not donating :) (just humour me)

...and probably will every year from here in.

Well, I'm one of those RV "wannabe's" whose been lurking here for the past couple of months. Don't even have my PP, but it's a dream and I love reading the posts you all put up here. So, even though I'm not a builder (or, as said, even a flyer...yet) it's a dream that will be fulfilled sooner or later and this site is the best resource that there is out there...well worth the $25 (even though I'm eligible for the "military discount"...lol). Right now, however, I'm dreaming that Rina goes either N or S and misses us in the Keys.

Ron

Keep the dream alive man!

Welcome to VAF.

Thanks, Larry... I keep telling the wife I'd love to get back working on a flightline (AWACS and JSTARS in the AF for 20). This may be a way to do it...lol If we were back on the mainland, I'd be looking for a builder who needed help...just for the experience. Soon, maybe...

Last edited:
I wouldn't like it if my pay were cut 40%, so if i want to come to the site, and use this wonderful resource, time to pay the Piper ( ah, I mean, RV'er!):)

his pay hasn't been cut 40%, that would mean his advertisers also reduced the pay 40%.

Done

Didn't hurt a bit!

Clive Whittfield
Auckland
New Zealand
RV6 - still building....

Donation sent.

Doug says don't pay if you're a firefighter, but... I am entertained by this site every day both at home and at work. Between calls of course.:rolleyes:

Not to mention the entertainment value, I'm quite sure I would have exceeded the donation amount many times if I had made the mistakes that were prevented because the information I got here at VAF.

Keep up the good work Doug

Remember, This is an "Honor" System.
Not sure we need or want anybody shaming or suggesting someone donate when maybe the really cant.
Nordo

Thanks for the reminder

I went to look for my name on the 2011 list... and it wasn't there. It was on Oct of 2010. Oops. Just donated. Time flies when you're actually flying!

Based on Doug's numbers about 1 in 10 donate. That's just a little worse than public radio/TV numbers (1/9). I'd kind of hoped we were better than that. Five gallons of AvGas these days makes the $25 number (and change).

//neil
RV-6

Donations

My name was already on the list for this year, but it must have been early in the year - can't remember now, and can't be bothered to look up records. But, I don't visit ANY site as much as this one, or get as much reading and valuable info out of any aviation mags ... so just doubled up with another 30 bucks. Keep up the good work Doug!

I build, therefore I donate!

The VAF community is an invaluable resource to me as I have never undertaken anything of this magnitude, at least building an airplane. The information, tips, opinions, guidance and solutions to problems encountered during the build process, have helped me through some pretty discouraging issues. As a first time builder, I consider "donating" part of my build.

Thanks Doug. Your VAF site has saved me many times over.

I could skate cause I'm unemployed, but so what. Keeps me out of the bars cause I'd rather argue with the knuckleheads on here than some drunk. If someone from this forum would buy my 10 I'd give Doug 1%. Everyone wants to be a 1 percenter. Ask any biker.

Back