What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Touch v9.12 and G5 v8.16 erroneous servo hardware fault

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Good morning, VAF.

With the release of G5 v8.16 and G3XT v9.12, we discovered an unintended interaction between ESP and the additional hardware monitoring implemented in relation to SB21222. We have identified the issue and are working to further validate our solution. Our goal is to have software available next week.

In the meantime, if you have G5 v8.16 or G3XT v9.12 you may observe autopilot disconnects and/or erroneous servo hardware faults when ESP engages.

To remedy this, until new software is available, you may either:

To back load software on the G3X Touch:
  • Insert the SD Card created with the v9.10 software updater into the GDU
  • Power up the GDU in normal mode
  • Press menu twice to open the Main Menu
  • Select Tools
  • Select Database Information
  • Press the Menu button
  • Select the Load Software option
Repeat these steps for all displays in your system.

To backload software on the G5:

For the G5, we recommend disabling ESP for the coming week as some SD cards may not backload successfully the first attempt.
  • Insert the micro SD Card created with the v8.00 software updater into the G5
  • Hold the knob during startup to boot into config mode.
  • Select the Device Information page and press the knob
  • Highlight the SFD for the current G5 and press the knob
  • Highlight the Update option on the Software Version line and press the knob
  • Confirm that you wish to reload the older software.
Repeat these steps for all displays in your system.

NOTE: It is recommended that for any display software change, you boot the PFD into config mode and confirm the software versions listed on our download page are loaded to your installed equipment.

Last edited:
First flight following the update I had a strange anomaly that occurred only once:

I did a "direct to" on the G3XT then engaged the autopilot on NAV and an immediate right turn to about 90 degrees off the "direct to" course occurred. While double checking that I actually did do this in the correct sequence and to the correct destination a slow left turn began that took me back to the intended bearing.

This did not occur on the return trip.

CAUTION:
If you decide to backload software (I have) be sure to first copy the config file to an available SD card. (See section 35.4.5 of the G3X Touch install manual) and take pictures or screenshots of all your displayed screens and config pages.

After forcing the backload (it doesn't come up automatically like an upgrade) you will lose quite a bit of your page info and configuration data. You can then upload your saved config file then crosscheck all displays with your photos/screenshots.

There is no guidance on what gets changed and what doesn't so a prudent choice is to check everything. This will be very similar to the initial configuration done on a new system with the difference being that some data will already be there necessitating only a crosscheck.

We have identified the issue and are working to further validate our solution. Our goal is to have software available next week.

After forcing the backload (it doesn't come up automatically like an upgrade) you will lose quite a bit of your page info and configuration data.

The weather forecast for the next ten days (check local listings) dictates I will not be flying so rather than risk loss of config data I will keep my fingers crossed that the solution will be available within this time.

I also updated to ver9.12, but my problems were a bit different. They included 1) Failed ADS-B performance report post update (SIL and SDA exceptions). A performance report from the flight immediately prior to the update was fine. 2) Start up screen shows red "X's" on the PFD (see screen shot below) and notifications of ADRS, ADC and EIS FAIL. After ~5 seconds these indications go away and the PFD functions normally (all "Xs" and warnings go away). 3) After a few seconds the traffic display changes from "NO DATA" to "FAILURE". While this resolves when the plane is moved outside and GPS signal is received. I don't recall ever seeing the FAILURE indication in the 215 flight hours since new, prior to the update. 4) ADS-B reception on the ground was excellent at my airport (tower nearby). However, reception was poor on the ground and somewhat intermittent in the air post update.

I've reinstalled all the config files from Van's, and checked that all LRUs are detected and have the correct software per the 9.12 update. I'm not at all sure reverting to 9.10 will help, and have an e mail in to g3xpert to get their advice on next steps. Of course, any suggestions from VAF expertise would be appreciated!

Attachments

• Start up screen.pdf
    166.4 KB · Views: 77
First flight following the update I had a strange anomaly that occurred only once:

I did a "direct to" on the G3XT then engaged the autopilot on NAV and an immediate right turn to about 90 degrees off the "direct to" course occurred. While double checking that I actually did do this in the correct sequence and to the correct destination a slow left turn began that took me back to the intended bearing.

This did not occur on the return trip.
Jayson,

If you have data logs associated with this on an SD card, please send them to us at the email address in our signature. From this we will be able to help diagnose any anomalous behavior.

If you do not have data logs, please put an SD card into the display and send them to us if this occurs again.

Thanks
- Johnny

Last edited:
1) Failed ADS-B performance (...) 2) Start up screen shows red "X's" (...) 3) traffic display changes from "NO DATA" to "FAILURE"
(...)
I'm not at all sure reverting to 9.10 will help, and have an e mail in to g3xpert to get their advice on next steps. Of course, any suggestions from VAF expertise would be appreciated!

Barry,

I agree that overall backdating to 9.10 will not do anything for what sounds like either a transponder/receiver issue or a GPS reception issue. My reasoning is as follows:

1. GDU display software does not change any device capable of ADS-B Transmissions. (with the possible exception of the GPS 20A, but that software was not update between 9.10 and 9.12)
  2. I would expect your ARHS to be invalid for the first power cycle following the update as your GSU 25 was updating software
  3. The NO DATA / FAILURE state is determined by the traffic device.

If you have not already received a reply from G3Xpert, please ensure that you have provided your ADS-B Transponder and GPS source, this may aid in finding the cause of these traffic issues.

Thanks,
Johnny

I also updated to ver9.12, but my problems were a bit different.

I've reinstalled all the config files from Van's, and checked that all LRUs are detected and have the correct software per the 9.12 update. I'm not at all sure reverting to 9.10 will help, and have an e mail in to g3xpert to get their advice on next steps. Of course, any suggestions from VAF expertise would be appreciated!

The weather forecast for the next ten days (check local listings) dictates I will not be flying so rather than risk loss of config data I will keep my fingers crossed that the solution will be available within this time.

Good evening, Barry and Jayson.
We have pushed a new versions of G3X and G5 SW, detailed here.

- Johnny

Back