What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wobbly Panel

Wizane

I'm New Here
Has anyone else got the same problem I have with the throttle/mixture/prop cable mounting panel? It is basically not strong enough to remain rigid when operating the throttle.

Is there an upgraded version of the panel? Should I consider strengthening the current one or am I looking at designing a new one?

I have only recently purchased the RV7 and I am trying to iron out the niggles that I would have corrected during the build.

Attachments

• Cockpit.jpeg
    Cockpit.jpeg
    619.8 KB · Views: 109
Cable support

I found the cables need to be supported about 3” back from the knobs. So there will be two supports, one at the knob and one a few inches back.

Found the control linkage bracket on the RV-10 was not sturdy enough for my liking as well.

I added a single 0.063” 3/4”x3/4” angle running fore and aft between the bottom of the panel (just above the bracket) to the firewall. Much better.

Carl

Has anyone else got the same problem I have with the throttle/mixture/prop cable mounting panel? It is basically not strong enough to remain rigid when operating the throttle.

Is there an upgraded version of the panel? Should I consider strengthening the current one or am I looking at designing a new one?

I have only recently purchased the RV7 and I am trying to iron out the niggles that I would have corrected during the build.

The plans call for adel clamps that secure the cables to the sub-panel behind the main panel. This GREATLY increases their rigidity and guessing that the builder may have left them out on your plane or used a clamp that was too large and not fully capturing the cable.

Larry

It looks like the controls are mounted to an add-on bracket below the main panel. I don't think that bracket is stock so it'll be whatever the builder came up with. Replacing it with a stiffer bracket (or a c-channel?) might stiffen it up for you, or adding a reinforcement that ties it back to the sub panel as others have suggested.

F746

The controls bracket should have four nutplates. It slips on from the top side of the panel bottom flange. Screws go through the panel flange then the controls bracket. It's pretty solid but the added sub panel bracket really locks it down. Mine is even a little bigger and doesn't move.
I do recommend making sure it will come off to remove the panel. Last thing you want is to pull all the cables to get the panel out.
20220811_115937.jpg

The plans call for adel clamps that secure the cables to the sub-panel behind the main panel. This GREATLY increases their rigidity and guessing that the builder may have left them out on your plane or used a clamp that was too large and not fully capturing the cable.

Larry

THIS ^^^^^^^. (And same info offered in the facebook builders group)

Back