What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avionics, selling used through 3rd party

Sounds like you don't want to sell direct but dealer?
Why go middle man, they will have to take commission.

selling..... VAF Classifieds, eBay... Trade A Plane, Barn Stormers
buying.....VAF Classifieds, eBay... Trade A Plane, Barn Stormers

LOCAL Avionics shop may take gear on "consignment". They may want a big cut, depending on what it is and price it may sit forever.

Sell it yourself on VAF Classified. Figure out a reasonable price, take pictures and upload them. Then figure out how to get paid by buyer, and then ship it. Pack it well, insure it.

Can I ask what you are selling and what you want for the item or items? Some things sell them self and for a good price. Other things are a hard sell or can't give it away.

Sold lots of things on VAF, mostly small things. Some people buying/selling on VAF prefer to have a middleman as insurance on a large purchase to avoid a scam. Stein has always been mentioned as the go to, but they informed me that they are not currently doing this service. I was soliciting for another company that would provide the same service.

As for selling I have a classified ad for a Trig KY91 on VAF.

Not Aircraft Specific

I've used

Escrow.com

a few times including selling an emp kit here. Easy and no issues

Someone called and got a different answer. I decided to call Stein myself.

The answer, if you email you get told they do not do it.
If you call it’s done on a case by case.

Here’s the skinny. They don’t want to sell, switches knobs etc, or ancient avionics. It needs to be a substantial item to be worth their time and yours.

Appreciate that they still do this.

Someone called and got a different answer. I decided to call Stein myself.

The answer, if you email you get told they do not do it.
If you call it’s done on a case by case.

Here’s the skinny. They don’t want to sell, switches knobs etc, or ancient avionics. It needs to be a substantial item to be worth their time and yours.

Appreciate that they still do this.

My experience too. I recently bought an Avidyne IFD from Stein and sold my old 430W here on VAF. In that circumstance, he did offer to T&E the 430W for the buyer and act as broker if it passed muster.

Back