What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hobby Air

wirejock

Well Known Member
Has anyone experienced loud whistling from the HobbyAir mask?
Man! Gives me a headache and probably not good for my already poor hearing. Plus it's right at the volume I prefer. I can crank it up but it gets louder. Lower pressure and it stops, but that's not enough air. Oh bother!

Has anyone experienced loud whistling from the HobbyAir mask?
Man! Gives me a headache and probably not good for my already poor hearing. Plus it's right at the volume I prefer. I can crank it up but it gets louder. Lower pressure and it stops, but that's not enough air. Oh bother!

Yep. It’s annoying. I would have to move the hose around and adjust the position of the hood and
Eventually would get it to stop for awhile.

No whistle but I haven't tried the mask, just the hood. My chief gripe with that is visibility.

Dave

And you look like a conehead! I do agree, the hood is uncomfortable, very hot in the summer, and difficult to see well. It does offer the best protection.

I thought that the hood might be the way to go as I wear glasses for near work and starting a little into the medium range. what do people do when they have glasses?

Jeff

I thought that the hood might be the way to go as I wear glasses for near work and starting a little into the medium range. what do people do when they have glasses?

Jeff

I use the mask and wear prescription safety glasses. The side shields protect well and they were relatively cheap (~$100 from Zenni) so I don't worry about overspray on them. I keep them polished and so far no paint has stuck to them.

Hood

I agree the hood is important. I ditched it after I ruined a paint job. I leaned over to spray a lower area and that hood dragged accross the wet paint. I was furious.
My prescription glasses don't get overspray. Weird. I wonder if it's the HTE gun. There is very little paint fog. Lots of dust on the floor.
It's a Harbor Fright Black Widow HVLP HTE (High Transfer Efficiency)

The new generation HPLV guns are great. I have very little overspray fog as well . The little overspray just condensed and dropped straight to the floor.

I have several hours with the hobby air and the whine is deafening. I actually avoid using it as much as possible because of it.

The problem seems to be one of the valves acts like a whistle at some pressures. I found myself holding my breath to keep it at bay as much as possible. I don't have a solution other than changing the resonant frequency of the valve or the shape of the opening somehow. Probably by adding some tape or maybe adding a ramp or something.

Larry,
I was looking at that gun on the HF website last night and wondering how it compared with the HVLP one. I've sprayed primer with the purple gun, but that's about it. I'm gearing up to paint next spring and I'm in the planning and acquisition stage. coalescing filter, regulator, gun, pps cups, etc.

Jeff

When needs must

I went to do some spraying of etch primer about a week ago and found I needed to wear my age related glasses under the hood and off course they would not fit.

Had a bright idea, I had an old flying helmet in the loft, so took the Hobbyair hose of the mask and attached it to the oxygen mask and it worked well enough as a stopgap until I can get a mask.

Rob

Attachments

• 464DC7E5-14D1-460C-B6C2-86DD8BA084A8.jpg
    464DC7E5-14D1-460C-B6C2-86DD8BA084A8.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 89
Black Widow

Larry,
I was looking at that gun on the HF website last night and wondering how it compared with the HVLP one. I've sprayed primer with the purple gun, but that's about it. I'm gearing up to paint next spring and I'm in the planning and acquisition stage. coalescing filter, regulator, gun, pps cups, etc.

Jeff

I've not used the purple gun. My other gun is a DeVilbis FLG. The Black Widow HVLP HTE is night and day better. It's a copy of a SATA $900 gun. Love it. I already had the PPS cups so I just added the adapter. Only knock is the swivel fitting leaks and I can't find a fitting that fits the gun.

Last edited:
Back